Gunman kills five people in California, then himself

In this file photo taken on November 17, 2017 A Bakersfield police vehicle makes patrols in Bakersfield, Kern County, California.(File/AFP)
Updated 13 September 2018

Gunman kills five people in California, then himself

LOS ANGELES: A man went on a shooting rampage in California on Wednesday, killing five people including his wife, before taking his own life, a police spokesman told AFP.
The shooting in Bakersfield in central California was possibly “a domestic violence incident,” said Lt. Mark King of the Kern County sheriff’s office.
Police received their first call at 5:19 p.m. before responding to the first location, a trucking company, where the rampage began.
Three people were killed there and the shooter, armed with a large caliber handgun.
Sheriff Donny Youngblood told reporters that the suspect first shot a man at the trucking company and then killed his wife. He chased a person who had witnessed the shooting and killed that person, too.
He reportedly then fled and shot two people at a house.
Police then received a call from a woman who said she had been carjacked. Officers gave chase and the suspect pulled into a business, got out of the car and shot himself, King said.
The fatalities were three men and two women. No names were released.
“This is the new normal,” said Youngblood. He said the officer who confronted the suspect wore a body camera, but the footage has not been released.
It was the latest chapter of America’s epidemic of gun violence.
Americans make up only four percent of the global population but they own 40 percent of the world’s firearms, according to a recent study published by the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva.
Of the 857 million guns owned by civilians, 393 million are in the United States — more than all of the firearms held by ordinary citizens in the other top 25 countries combined, according to the Small Arms Survey.
According to Gun Violence Archive, the mass shooting in Bakersfield is the third deadliest in the United States this year after a shooting at a school in Parkland, Florida that left 17 people dead and one at a school in Santa Fe, Texas, in May that left 10 people dead.


Moscow says coronavirus outbreak enters new phase as residents go out to brave risk

Updated 29 March 2020

Moscow says coronavirus outbreak enters new phase as residents go out to brave risk

  • At least 52,000 people took walks in the city parks on Saturday
  • The official tally of confirmed cases in Russia rose by 270 in 24 hours

MOSCOW: Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said on Sunday that the coronavirus outbreak had entered a new phase as the total number of cases in the Russian capital exceeded 1,000 with many Muscovites going out despite a plea to stay home.

Authorities in Moscow, Russia’s worst-affected area, shut shops and entertainment venues from Saturday and urged Muscovites to stay at home during the non-working week announced by President Vladimir Putin.

But at least 52,000 people took walks in the city parks on Saturday, and many elderly people made long trips on the city’s vast public transportation network, Sobyanin said on his website.

“The situation with the spread of coronavirus has entered a new phase. More than 1,000 cases of the disease have already been recorded in Moscow. Nobody is insured,” Sobyanin wrote.

“An example of miserable Italian and Spanish cities, even New York, where tens and hundreds of people die every day, is in front of everyone’s eyes.”

The official tally of confirmed cases in Russia rose by 270 in 24 hours, bringing the total to 1,534. Nine people have died of the coronavirus, seven of which in Moscow.