Grandmother of slain French teenager calls for end to riots

Protestors flee from an exploding firework on a street in Nice, France early July 2. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 02 July 2023
Follow

Grandmother of slain French teenager calls for end to riots

  • ‘Let them not destroy the schools, the buses,’ Nadia Merzouk says
  • Nahel Merzouk was shot dead by police during traffic stop

LONDON: The grandmother of Nahel Merzouk, the French teenager who was killed by a police officer on Tuesday, has appealed for the violent protests staged in his name to end, the Metro reported.

France has been hit by a wave of rioting since the 17-year-old, who came from an Algerian family, was shot dead at point-blank range during a traffic stop in Nanterre.

The killing, which was captured on video, has unleashed rage about police treatment of minorities.

Curfews were imposed and tens of thousands of officers deployed as angry rioters destroyed buildings and vehicles.

“I want it to stop everywhere,” Merzouk’s grandmother Nadia told French news channel BFM TV on Sunday.

“The people who are destroying, I tell them to stop! Let them not destroy the schools, the buses,” she said.

Nadia said she did not attend the march led by Merzouk’s mother Mounia on Thursday, because she did not want to leave the place where her grandson had died.

The procession sparked further violence on the streets of Nanterre, with several cars being overturned and set on fire.

Speaking of her family’s suffering over the past week, Nadia said: “It’s over, my daughter no longer has a life.”

Mounia earlier expressed her sorrow at the killing of her son, who she said loved playing rugby and worked as a pizza delivery boy.

Nadia said did not harbor any resentment toward the police as a whole and blamed only the officer who fired the shot for Merzouk’s death.

“I trust in justice,” she said.

In a rare criticism of law enforcement, French President Emmanuel Macron on Wednesday described the shooting as “inexcusable.”
 


South Korea: Civilians sent drones to North Korea four times, harming ties

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

South Korea: Civilians sent drones to North Korea four times, harming ties

SEOUL: South Korea’s Unification Minister Chung Dong-young said on Wednesday that three civilians had sent drones to North Korea on four occasions since President Lee Jae Myung took office last year, harming inter-Korean ties.
The trio flew the aircraft between September 2025 and January, Chung said, citing an ongoing investigation by police and the military. Drones crashed on two occasions in North Korea, in line with claims ‌made by ‌Pyongyang, he said.
On two other attempts the ​drones ‌returned ⁠to Paju, ​a border ⁠settlement in South Korea, after flying over Kaesong, a city in North Korea, Chung said.
South Korean authorities were investigating the three civilians on suspicion of violating the aviation safety act and breaching criminal law by benefiting the enemy, he said.
Some officials at South Korea’s military intelligence agency and the National Intelligence Service were also under investigation for alleged involvement with the ⁠trio, he said.
“We express official regret to the ‌North,” Chung said, adding that the government ‌was taking the drone incursion incidents very seriously.
North ​Korea has reacted angrily, saying ‌last month that drones from South Korea entered its airspace, after ‌another intrusion in September.
Kim Yo Jong, the powerful sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, urged Seoul to investigate the incident, warning provocations could result in “terrible situations.”
Chung also expressed regret over South Korea sending 18 drones to North Korea under ‌the direction of ousted President Yoon Suk Yeol.
“It was an extremely dangerous incident aimed to induce an attack ⁠against South ⁠Korea by sending 18 drones on 11 occasions, to sensitive areas in North Korea including the airspace over the Workers’ Party office,” he said.
South Korean prosecutors have
indicted Yoon
, who was ousted in April 2025, on charges that include aiding an enemy state.
They accused him and his military commanders of ordering a covert drone operation into the North to raise tensions and justify his martial law decree.
Yoon denies wrongdoing.
South Korea’s government plans to strengthen penalties for sending drones to the North, Chung said, including up to a one-year jail term or a 10 million ​won ($6,928) fine.
A clause will ​also be added to South Korea’s inter-Korean relations development act to block actions that heighten tensions on the peninsula, he said.