BBC satellite analysis shows Israel razed entire Gaza neighborhoods since ceasefire began

The analysis focused on areas under Israeli control behind the so-called “Yellow Line”. (File/Planet Labs PBC)
Short Url
Updated 12 November 2025
Follow

BBC satellite analysis shows Israel razed entire Gaza neighborhoods since ceasefire began

  • Israel destroys over 1,500 buildings, says BBC Verify
  • Tel Aviv regime denies it has been violating ceasefire

LONDON: Israel has destroyed more than 1,500 buildings in Gaza since a ceasefire agreement with Hamas took effect on Oct. 10, according to an investigation by BBC Verify that analyzed recent satellite imagery.

The analysis, released on Wednesday, focused on areas under Israeli control behind the so-called “Yellow Line,” a boundary established in terms of the ceasefire.

Visual evidence showed entire neighborhoods were flattened within weeks, including homes that appeared undamaged before demolition began.

Images from Khan Younis and Rafah showed orchards, gardens, and residential structures erased.

The BBC said it “used a change detection algorithm to analyse radar images taken before and after the ceasefire to highlight changes, which might indicate destruction, then manually counted visibly destroyed buildings.”

It also noted the actual number could be much higher, as satellite imagery was unavailable for some areas.

The demolitions, which BBC Verify said appear to have been deliberate and widespread, have raised questions among legal and regional experts over whether Israel is violating the terms of the US-brokered ceasefire, a deal supported by Egypt, Qatar, and Turkiye.

The agreement explicitly called for a suspension of “all military operations, including aerial and artillery bombardment.”

However, Israel maintains its actions are in line with the deal. The Israel Defense Forces stated that it is dismantling “terror infrastructure, including tunnels,” as required by the agreement.

Israel’s Defense Minister Israel Katz has said demilitarizing Gaza is a central goal, and pointed to language in the peace plan that allows for the destruction of militant infrastructure.

Former Israeli officials argued that operations behind the Yellow Line do not violate the ceasefire, since those zones remain under the control of the Israeli army. Verified footage of demolitions has been geolocated to those areas.


Mark Zuckerberg set to testify in watershed social media trial

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

Mark Zuckerberg set to testify in watershed social media trial

  • The plaintiff, a now 20-year-old woman, is seeking to hold social media companies responsible for harms to children who use their platforms
  • Zuckerberg’s testimony comes a week after the testimony of Adam Mosseri, the head of Meta’s Instagram

LOS ANGELES: Mark Zuckerberg will testify in an unprecedented social media trial that questions whether Meta’s platforms deliberately addict and harm children.
Meta’s CEO is expected to answer tough questions on Wednesday from attorneys representing a now 20-year-old woman identified by the initials KGM, who claims her early use of social media addicted her to the technology and exacerbated depression and suicidal thoughts. Meta Platforms and Google’s YouTube are the two remaining defendants in the case, which TikTok and Snap have settled.
Zuckerberg has testified in other trials and answered questions from Congress about youth safety on Meta’s platforms, and he apologized to families at that hearing whose lives had been upended by tragedies they believed were because of social media. This trial, though, marks the first time Zuckerberg will answer similar questions in front of a jury. and, again, bereaved parents are expected to be in the limited courtroom seats available to the public.
The case, along with two others, has been selected as a bellwether trial, meaning its outcome could impact how thousands of similar lawsuits against social media companies would play out.
A Meta spokesperson said the company strongly disagrees with the allegations in the lawsuit and said they are “confident the evidence will show our longstanding commitment to supporting young people.”
One of Meta’s attorneys, Paul Schmidt, said in his opening statement that the company is not disputing that KGM experienced mental health struggles, but rather that Instagram played a substantial factor in those struggles. He pointed to medical records that showed a turbulent home life, and both he and an attorney representing YouTube argue she turned to their platforms as a coping mechanism or a means of escaping her mental health struggles.
Zuckerberg’s testimony comes a week after that of Adam Mosseri, the head of Meta’s Instagram, who said in the courtroom that he disagrees with the idea that people can be clinically addicted to social media platforms. Mosseri maintained that Instagram works hard to protect young people using the service, and said it’s “not good for the company, over the long run, to make decisions that profit for us but are poor for people’s well-being.”
Much of Mosseri’s questioning from the plaintiff’s lawyer, Mark Lanier, centered on cosmetic filters on Instagram that changed people’s appearance — a topic that Lanier is sure to revisit with Zuckerberg. He is also expected to face questions about Instagram’s algorithm, the infinite nature of Meta’ feeds and other features the plaintiffs argue are designed to get users hooked.
Meta is also facing a separate trial in New Mexico that began last week.