UK announces £27m Rohingya refugee aid package

A Rohingya refugee child runs down the stairs of a refugee camp in Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh. (Reuters/File)
Short Url
Updated 01 October 2025
Follow

UK announces £27m Rohingya refugee aid package

  • Funding will provide food, shelter, clean water and other life-saving services to half a million displaced
  • UN warns of growing food shortages in Myanmar state from where the Muslim minority are fleeing

LONDON: The UK will provide £27 million ($36 million) to help Rohingya refugees who have fled war and food shortages in Myanmar.

The aid package will provide food, shelter, clean water and other life-saving services to half a million people living in camps in neighboring Bangladesh.

The funding was announced by the UK’s Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper on Monday as a UN conference on the Muslim minority group took place in New York.

The US also announced $60 million in assistance for Rohingya and other Myanmar minority refugees “who have been victims of repression and violence,” and fled their country.

The UK aid will be delivered through various UN agencies including the World Food Program and UNICEF, along with other aid groups.

The money will also go toward reproductive health services for 175,000 women and girls, and to support survivors of sexual, physical and mental harm.

Cooper said that the funding would also help to support Bangladeshi host communities.

“The UK will continue to work tirelessly to ensure that those displaced by violence have the support, protection, dignity and opportunities they deserve,” she said.

The funding comes as the UN warns of a fresh hunger crisis in Myanmar’s Rakhine state, where fighting is raging between the military-led government and a group known as the Arakan Army. 

More than a million Rohingya live in refugee camps in Bangladesh after vast numbers fled a brutal military crackdown in Rakhine in 2017.

The refugee crisis has been exacerbated by cuts in international aid, particularly by the US, which shut down the US Agency for International Development earlier this year.

The UK says that it has now provided more than £447 million since 2017 to help the Rohingya, and is continuing to work with Bangladesh to “promote stability and hope” for the Rohingya community.


Federal judge accuses Trump administration of ‘terror’ against immigrants in scathing ruling

Updated 10 sec ago
Follow

Federal judge accuses Trump administration of ‘terror’ against immigrants in scathing ruling

  • The judge said that the White House had also “extended its violence on its own citizens”
  • “The threats posed by the executive branch cannot be viewed in isolation”

CALIFRONIA: A federal judge has accused the Trump administration of terrorizing immigrants and recklessly violating the law in its efforts to deport millions of people living in the country illegally.
Citing the deaths of Renee Good and Alex Pretti in Minnesota, the judge said that the White House had also “extended its violence on its own citizens.”
“The threats posed by the executive branch cannot be viewed in isolation,” US District Judge Sunshine Sykes in Riverside, California said in her scathing decision issued late Wednesday.
Sykes ordered the US Department of Homeland Security to provide detained immigrants around the country with notice of her earlier decisions that they may be eligible to seek release on bond.
Under past administrations, people with no criminal record could generally request a bond hearing before an immigration judge while their cases wound through immigration court unless they were stopped at the border. President Donald Trump ‘s White House reversed that policy in favor of mandatory detention.
Sykes, who was nominated by President Joe Biden, a Democrat, ruled in November and again in December that the change violated the law and extended her decision to immigrants nationwide. The Republican administration, however, has continued denying bond hearings.
That has prompted thousands of immigrants to file separate petitions in federal court seeking their release. More than 20,000 habeas corpus cases have been filed since Trump’s inauguration, according to federal court records analyzed by the AP.
An email Thursday to the Department of Homeland Security was not immediately returned.
Sykes said Wednesday by violating her decision, the administration had “wasted valuable time and resources” and deprived immigrants of their “liberty, economic stability, and fundamental dignity.”
She also slammed the claim that the immigration crackdown was removing the worst criminals, saying most of the people arrested did not fit that description.
“Americans have expressed deep concerns over unlawful, wanton acts by the executive branch,” she wrote. “Beyond its terror against noncitizens, the executive branch has extended its violence on its own citizens, killing two American citizens— Renée Good and Alex Pretti in Minnesota.”