Coco Gauff says criticism of Aryna Sabalenka’s French Open comments went ‘too far’

Aryna Sabalenka of Belarus and Coco Gauff of United States dance during a practice session ahead of the Wimbledon Championships in London, Jun. 27, 2025. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 28 June 2025
Follow

Coco Gauff says criticism of Aryna Sabalenka’s French Open comments went ‘too far’

  • The Belarusian later wrote to apologize to Gauff and said her comments were “unprofessional”
  • Gauff is trying to make sure the criticism stops

LONDON: It didn’t take long for Coco Gauff and Aryna Sabalenka to patch up their relationship after this month’s French Open final.

Now as Wimbledon is about to start, Gauff is hoping everyone else can also forget what the top-ranked Sabalenka said in the wake of her loss to the American at Roland-Garros.

A day after dancing together on Wimbledon’s Center Court in a TikTok video, the two tennis players faced more questions on Saturday about the aftermath of Sabalenka’s comments right after the final, when she said her loss had more to do with her own mistakes than Gauff’s performance.

The Belarusian later wrote to apologize to Gauff and said her comments were “unprofessional,” but not before she faced some major backlash from fans and pundits — especially in the United States.

Gauff is trying to make sure the criticism stops.

“I’m not the person that will fuel hate in the world,” said Gauff, who opens her Wimbledon campaign against Dayana Yastremska on Tuesday. “I think people were taking it too far. … It was just really targeting and saying a lot of things that I felt were not nice. I didn’t want to fuel that more.”

Sabalenka, who faces Carson Branstine on No. 1 Court on Monday, said she hopes the
TikTok video shows that all is well between the two.

“We are good, we are friends,” the three-time major winner said. “I hope the US media can be easy on me right now.”

Sabalenka reiterated that she never meant to offend Gauff.

“I was just completely upset with myself, and emotions got over me,” she said. “I just completely lost it.”

Gauff did acknowledge that she was initially tempted to hit back publicly at Sabalenka, who said the American “won the match not because she played incredible; just because I made all of those mistakes from ... easy balls.”

But after Sabalenka reached out to apologize, she was quick to bury any grudge.

“I preach love, I preach light,” Gauff said. “I just want us to be Kumbaya, live happily, hakuna matata, and be happy here.”


Del Toro wins shortened UAE Tour first stage

Updated 58 min 22 sec ago
Follow

Del Toro wins shortened UAE Tour first stage

  • Mexican youngster Isaac Del Toro powered to victory in a sprint finish in a shortened opening stage of the UAE Tour on Monday

LIWA OASIS: Mexican youngster Isaac Del Toro powered to victory in a sprint finish in a shortened opening stage of the UAE Tour on Monday.
The 22-year-old, who finished second in last year’s Giro d’Italia, made a perfect start to his race by beating Dutchman Cees Bol and Italy’s Antonio Tiberi to the finish line of a stage reduced from 144km to 118km due to high winds.
It was an impressive display of strength from Del Toro, getting the better of the pure sprinters.
“It’s unbelievable, it’s crazy,” Del Toro said. “I don’t know exactly (how it happened) but I just see the chance and I don’t want to regret it.”
Italian Jonathan Milan was expected to be in the frame for the stage win but crashed heavily at a roundabout 1,500m from the end.
Del Toro, who rides for UAE Team Emirates, is hoping to follow in the footsteps of his teammate Tadej Pogacar who won the race last year.
Belgian star Remco Evenepoel is likely to be one of his main challengers, after two-time Tour de France champion Jonas Vingegaard pulled out ahead of the first stage due to a recent crash and illness.
Tuesday’s second stage is a 12km time-trial.