Morocco residents begin returning to northwest as flood waters recede

A drone view of a flooded area, after heavy rainfall raised water levels in the region, in Ksar El Kebir, Morocco, in this screengrab from video obtained on February 6, 2026. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 16 February 2026
Follow

Morocco residents begin returning to northwest as flood waters recede

  • Most residents of Ksar El ‌Kebir, 213 ‌km north of Rabat, ​are now ‌allowed ⁠to ​return home, ⁠except for those living in a few neighborhoods
  • Train and bus rides were offered free of charge to help transport residents who had sought shelter with relatives in other ⁠cities

RABAT: Moroccan authorities began organizing the gradual return of residents to the city of Ksar El Kebir ​and other flood-hit northwestern areas as weather conditions improved, state media showed on Monday.
Authorities backed by the army had helped evacuate 188,000 people since early February, to protect them from overflowing river waters that swept across 110,000 hectares in the northwest.
Most residents of Ksar El ‌Kebir, 213 ‌km north of Rabat, ​are now ‌allowed ⁠to ​return home, ⁠except for those living in a few neighborhoods, the interior ministry said on Monday.
Investment plan to upgrade infrastructure
Train and bus rides were offered free of charge to help transport residents who had sought shelter with relatives in other ⁠cities, or in centers and camps ‌provided by authorities, state ‌TV showed.
Morocco plans to spend ​3 billion dirhams ($330 million) ‌to upgrade infrastructure and support flood-affected residents, farmers ‌and shop-owners in the inundated areas, the prime minister’s office said last week, declaring the hardest-hit municipalities disaster areas.
The Oued Makhazine dam, which had reached 160 percent ‌of capacity, was forced to gradually release water downstream after exceptional inflows, leading to ⁠rising ⁠water levels in the Loukous river which inundated Ksar El Kebir and surrounding plains.
Rainfall this winter was 35 percent above the average recorded since the 1990s and three times higher than last year, official data showed.
Morocco’s national dam-filling rate rose to nearly 70 percent from 27 percent a year earlier, with several large dams being partially emptied to absorb new inflows.
The exceptional rainfall ended ​a seven-year drought ​that had pushed the country to ramp up investments in desalination.


Tunisia lawmaker jailed eight months for criticizing president

Updated 13 sec ago
Follow

Tunisia lawmaker jailed eight months for criticizing president

  • Ahmed Saidani was taken into custody earlier this month after posting on social media
  • Dozens of his critics are being prosecuted or in prison, including under a law criminalizing “false news“

TUNIS: A Tunisian court has sentenced a lawmaker to eight months in prison for criticizing President Kais Saied following recent floods, local media reported.
Ahmed Saidani was taken into custody earlier this month after posting on social media about Saied’s visits to areas affected by floods, calling him the “supreme commander of sanitation and stormwater drainage.”
Saidani’s lawyer, Houssem Eddine Ben Attia, had told AFP his client was being prosecuted under a telecommunications law against “harming others via social media,” which carries up to two years in prison.
Rights groups have warned of a rollback on freedoms in Tunisia since Saied staged a sweeping power grab in 2021.
Dozens of his critics are being prosecuted or in prison, including under a law criminalizing “false news.”
Saidani had backed Saied’s power grab and the detention of several opposition figures, but has recently become vocally critical of the president.
At least five people died and others were still missing after Tunisia was hit by its heaviest rainfall in more than 70 years last month.