Germany arrests suspected Islamists over attack plot

Police stand guard in Munich, Germany. (REUTERS file photo)
Short Url
Updated 11 December 2024
Follow

Germany arrests suspected Islamists over attack plot

  • The fall of President Bashar Assad has stoked fears that Daesh could be revived in Syria

BERLIN: Three suspected Islamist extremists have been arrested in Germany on suspicion of preparing a “serious act of violence,” with an assault rifle and knives also seized, authorities said Tuesday.
Police swooped Sunday on the homes of two German-Lebanese brothers aged 15 and 20 in the city of Mannheim, and a 22-year-old German-Turkish man from the Hochtaunus district of Hessen state.
German media reports said they were planning to attack Christmas markets in either Frankfurt or Mannheim.
Local prosecutors and police said in a statement that the act they were planning could have “endangered the state,” without disclosing further details.
Germany has faced a string of attacks and plots by suspected Islamists in recent years and has been on high alert since Hamas’s October 7, 2023, attack on Israel sparked the war in the Gaza Strip.
The brothers detained in Mannheim, who had a “strong religious ideology and profound sympathy” for the Daesh group, had made concrete preparations for an attack, authorities said.
The assault rifle, along with ammunition, was found during a search of the 22-year-old German-Turkish man’s home, they said. Several knives, a balaclava as well as mobile phones were also turned up during searches.
But officials stressed that “at no point was there any concrete danger to the public.” The suspects are in pre-trial detention.
Roman Poseck, Hessen state interior minister, praised law enforcement officials for making the arrests in “good time, before any acts could be carried out.”
“At the same time, it is once again clear that the security situation is tense,” Poseck added.
Germany has in recent times seen a series of allegedly Islamist-motivated knife attacks.
Three people were killed and eight wounded in a stabbing spree at a street festival in the western city of Solingen in August.
Police arrested a Syrian suspect over the attack that was claimed by IS.
In June, a policeman was killed in a knife attack in Mannheim, with an Afghan national held as the main suspect.
The fall of President Bashar Assad has stoked fears that IS could be revived in Syria.
But the international community has so far reacted cautiously to the prospect of the Islamist Hayat Tahrir Al-Sham (HTS), which led the rebel groups that ousted Assad, taking control in the country.

 


Islamist militants show ‘unprecedented coordination’ in Burkina Faso attacks

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Islamist militants show ‘unprecedented coordination’ in Burkina Faso attacks

  • The assaults were on several towns in the north and east including Bilanga, Titao, Tandjari and Nare
  • The operations targeted military detachments, civilian convoys and market areas

DAKAR: Islamist militants have killed dozens of soldiers and civilians and overrun an army detachment over the past week in coordinated attacks across multiple regions of Burkina Faso, according to internal reports by two diplomatic missions reviewed by Reuters.
The operations by Al Qaeda–linked Jama’at Nusrat Al-Islam wal-Muslimin show the JNIM is increasingly able to mobilize across large swathes of territory at one time, said the reports, which described a list of locations and places that came under assault.
Burkina Faso’s military rulers seized power in a coup in 2022, promising to improve security. But militants’ attacks have increased in the ⁠West African country ⁠as state forces battle an insurgency that has spread across the Sahel from Mali.
The assaults were on several towns in the north and east including Bilanga, Titao, Tandjari and Nare, the diplomatic reports said. One also described an assault in the eastern city of Fada N’Gourma and flagged another in the northern Ouahigouya area.
“These attacks, which were almost simultaneous and spread across several provinces, demonstrate unprecedented ⁠coordination between militants and the junta’s inability to contain the assaults,” said one of the internal reports, which put the death toll at more than 180.
The other gave no toll but said the incidents appeared coordinated and involved several hundred militants serving JNIM and possibly Daesh affiliates.
The operations targeted military detachments, civilian convoys and market areas, it said.
JNIM has said it killed scores of troops from the Burkinabe army in attacks in the past week, US-based SITE Intelligence Group said on Monday.
Burkina authorities did not respond to a request for comment on the assaults or casualty reports.

INJURED GHANAIANS RETURN HOME
In the northern town of ⁠Titao, militants attacked ⁠an army base and set a market on fire, the internal reports said.
Nearly 80 soldiers and pro-government militia members were killed, one said. The other said about 10 civilians were killed there.
The dead civilians included eight tomato traders, Ghana’s foreign ministry said on Tuesday.
SITE quoted a media unit for JNIM as saying the insurgents had seized military vehicles, guns and other possessions in the assaults. More than a decade of insurgencies in the Sahel has displaced millions and engendered economic collapse, with violence pushing further south toward West Africa’s coast.
JNIM claimed nearly 500 attacks in Burkina Faso in 2025 and nearly 300 in Mali, SITE’s director, Rita Katz, said in a social media post on LinkedIn.