Sheikh Mohammed Sabah Al-Salem Al-Sabah appointed prime minister of Kuwait

Sheikh Mohammed Sabah Al-Salem Al-Sabah (KUNA)
Short Url
Updated 05 January 2024
Follow

Sheikh Mohammed Sabah Al-Salem Al-Sabah appointed prime minister of Kuwait

DUBAI: A Kuwaiti Emiri decree has appointed Sheikh Mohammed Sabah Al-Salem Al-Sabah as prime minister, the state news agency, KUNA, reported on Thursday.

Sheikh Mohammed has been assigned to nominate members of the new government, KUNA added, citing the decree. 

Some highlights of Sheikh Mohammed Sabah Al-Salem Al-Sabah's life so far:

  • He was born in 1955 and received a Bachelor’s Degree in Economics from Claremont Graduate University, California, and a PhD in Economics from Harvard University.
  • He held position of teaching assistant at the Faculty of Commerce, Economics and Political Sciences at Kuwait University between 1979 and 1985. He was then appointed as a professor in the department in 1985.
  • He worked at the Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research from 1987 to 1988.
  • He was appointed ambassador of Kuwait to the US in 1993 and held that position until he was appointed Minister of State for Foreign Affairs on Feb. 14, 2001.
  • He was appointed Minister of Foreign Affairs and Acting Minister of Social Affairs and Labor on July 14, 2003.
  • On Feb. 9, 2006, he was named Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs. He was reappointed in the same posts in July 2006 and March 2007, and in the cabinet reshuffles of October 2007 and May 2008.
  • On Jan. 12, 2009, he was appointed Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Foreign Affairs, and Acting Minister of Oil.
  • On May 29, 2009, he was appointed Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs.
  • On May 8, 2011, he was appointed Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs and held these positions in government until Oct. 2011.

US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

  • The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year
  • Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president

WASHINGTON: The Trump administration has informed Congress that it intends to proceed with planning for a potential re-opening of the US Embassy in Damascus, Syria, which was shuttered in 2012 during the country’s civil war.
A notice to congressional committees earlier this month, which was obtained by The Associated Press, informed lawmakers of the State Department’s “intent to implement a phased approach to potentially resume embassy operations in Syria.”
The Feb. 10 notification said that spending on the plans would begin in 15 days, or next week, although there was no timeline offered for when they would be complete or when US personnel might return to Damascus on a full-time basis.
The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year, shortly after longtime strongman Bashar Assad was ousted in December 2024, and it has been a priority for President Donald Trump’s ambassador to Turkiye and special envoy for Syria, Tom Barrack.
Barrack has pushed for a deep rapprochement with Syria and its new leadership under former rebel Ahmad Al-Sharaa and has successfully advocated for the lifting of US sanctions and a reintegration of Syria into the regional and international communities.
Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president. “He’s a rough guy. He’s not a choir boy. A choir boy couldn’t do it,” Trump said. “But Syria’s coming together.”
Last May, Barrack visited Damascus and raised the US flag at the embassy compound, although the embassy was not yet re-opened.
The same day the congressional notification was sent, Barrack lauded Syria’s decision to participate in the coalition that is combating the Daesh militant group, even as the US military has withdrawn from a small, but important, base in the southeast and there remain significant issues between the government and the Kurdish minority.
“Regional solutions, shared responsibility. Syria’s participation in the D-Daesh Coalition meeting in Riyadh marks a new chapter in collective security,” Barrack said.
The embassy re-opening plans are classified and the State Department declined to comment on details beyond confirming that the congressional notification was sent.
However, the department has taken a similar “phased” approach in its plans to re-open the US Embassy in Caracas, Venezuela, following the US military operation that ousted former President Nicolás Maduro in January, with the deployment of temporary staffers who would live in and work out of interim facilities.