Yemeni government calls for international action against Houthi ‘economic war’

Rashad Al-Alimi, chairman of Yemen’s Presidential Leadership Council met with US Yemen Envoy Tim Lenderking in Riyadh. (Rashad Al-Alimi’s website)
Short Url
Updated 14 June 2023
Follow

Yemeni government calls for international action against Houthi ‘economic war’

  • Rashad Al-Alimi said Houthi attacks on oil facilities threatened to exacerbate the humanitarian crisis and prevent the government from paying its employees 

AL-MUKALLA, Yemen: Rashad Al-Alimi, chairman of Yemen’s Presidential Leadership Council, called on Wednesday for joint international efforts, primarily from the US, to pressure the Iran-backed Houthis to stop attacking oil facilities, which has cost the Yemeni government billions of riyals in oil revenues.

During a meeting with US Yemen Envoy Tim Lenderking in Riyadh, Al-Alimi said the Houthi attacks on oil facilities, ban on goods from government-controlled areas entering their territories, and harassment of the banking sector threatened to exacerbate the humanitarian crisis and prevent the government from paying its employees. 

“He informed him of the need for the international community, and the US in particular, to assume their responsibilities in the face of these attacks, which threaten (to provoke) an extensive humanitarian crisis, including the potential inability to pay employees’ salaries beginning this month,” a Yemeni government official, who preferred anonymity, told Arab News.

Similarly, Sultan Al-Arada, a presidential council member, said that the Yemeni government would review its facilities for commercial flights from Sanaa airport, as well as the arrival of ships at Hodeidah port, if the Houthis continued their attacks on oil facilities and their ban on goods and cooking gas from government-controlled areas. 

“All procedures relating to the port of Hodeidah and Sanaa airport will be examined if militias continue to use them for military objectives at the expense of people’s suffering,” Al-Arada said.

The Houthis have prohibited traders in regions under their control from importing products through Aden port or other government-controlled ports, forcing them to import commodities only through Hodeidah port. 

They have also barred products from entering their territories from government areas via land and have recently barred hundreds of cooking gas truck tankers from entering their territories from the central city of Marib. 

The Yemeni government termed the Houthi actions as a war intended to drain the government of money and force it to surrender and share oil earnings with the militia, as well as pay public employees in areas under their control.

Meanwhile, Ahmed bin Ahmed Ghaleb, the governor of Yemen’s central bank, said the Yemeni government lost billions of riyals in revenue as a result of the intensifying economic measures taken by the Houthis against the government, including the suspension of crude exports. 

In an interview with the country’s national television, Ghaleb said the government lost $1 billion from oil export suspension and more than 700 billion riyals ($2.80 billion) from taxes and customs since the start of the UN-brokered ceasefire in April last year when traders abandoned government ports in favor of the Houthi-controlled ports. 

“We lost a lot of resources. We have lost tax and customs resources as a result of the truce,” he said, citing losses amounting to 700 billion riyals, or 50 billion riyals per month, a sum he said is equal to the salaries of the army and security forces.

“We lost $1 billion of our oil exports. And now, because the Houthis have prevented accessing gas from areas they still control, we are losing revenue from gas sales,” Ghaleb said, noting that only 30 percent of the government's current expenses were covered by its resources.

Despite diminishing resources, the central bank governor said the bank has maintained “good” foreign currency reserves both within and outside the country, including investment portfolios in Swiss institutions and gold at the US Federal Reserve. 

“The central bank has more reserves than you can imagine. The central bank has enough reserves to carry out its functions to maintain prices and the currency. We have deposits. We have investment portfolios.” he said.


US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

  • The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year
  • Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president

WASHINGTON: The Trump administration has informed Congress that it intends to proceed with planning for a potential re-opening of the US Embassy in Damascus, Syria, which was shuttered in 2012 during the country’s civil war.
A notice to congressional committees earlier this month, which was obtained by The Associated Press, informed lawmakers of the State Department’s “intent to implement a phased approach to potentially resume embassy operations in Syria.”
The Feb. 10 notification said that spending on the plans would begin in 15 days, or next week, although there was no timeline offered for when they would be complete or when US personnel might return to Damascus on a full-time basis.
The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year, shortly after longtime strongman Bashar Assad was ousted in December 2024, and it has been a priority for President Donald Trump’s ambassador to Turkiye and special envoy for Syria, Tom Barrack.
Barrack has pushed for a deep rapprochement with Syria and its new leadership under former rebel Ahmad Al-Sharaa and has successfully advocated for the lifting of US sanctions and a reintegration of Syria into the regional and international communities.
Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president. “He’s a rough guy. He’s not a choir boy. A choir boy couldn’t do it,” Trump said. “But Syria’s coming together.”
Last May, Barrack visited Damascus and raised the US flag at the embassy compound, although the embassy was not yet re-opened.
The same day the congressional notification was sent, Barrack lauded Syria’s decision to participate in the coalition that is combating the Daesh militant group, even as the US military has withdrawn from a small, but important, base in the southeast and there remain significant issues between the government and the Kurdish minority.
“Regional solutions, shared responsibility. Syria’s participation in the D-Daesh Coalition meeting in Riyadh marks a new chapter in collective security,” Barrack said.
The embassy re-opening plans are classified and the State Department declined to comment on details beyond confirming that the congressional notification was sent.
However, the department has taken a similar “phased” approach in its plans to re-open the US Embassy in Caracas, Venezuela, following the US military operation that ousted former President Nicolás Maduro in January, with the deployment of temporary staffers who would live in and work out of interim facilities.