SYDNEY: Australia said Monday an asylum-seeker baby brought from a Pacific detention camp for hospital treatment is expected to be returned to the camp as a deterrent to people-smugglers, despite protests from doctors and others.
Under Canberra’s tough immigration policy, asylum-seekers attempting to arrive in Australia by boat are sent to camps in Papua New Guinea and Nauru, where they are held while their refugee applications are processed.
They are blocked from resettlement in Australia even if found to be refugees.
The case of one-year-old Asha, the daughter of Nepalese asylum-seekers who was brought to Brisbane suffering burns last month, prompted a stand-off with doctors and a week of rallies outside the Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital.
Medical staff had refused to release her until a suitable home environment had been identified.
Immigration Minister Peter Dutton said she had now been moved to community detention, where asylum-seekers waiting for their refugee applications to be processed live within the community. They are usually allowed to move around freely.
“She’s in community detention and obviously support will be provided to the family,” Dutton told the Nine Network. But he added that the government would not back down on its policy of returning her to offshore detention once medical and legal issues had been settled.
Refugee advocates claimed she was secretly moved from the hospital at 4am to an undisclosed location and the family’s lawyer Daniel Webb, from the Human Rights Law Center, said they were initially unable to speak to the family.
Asylum baby will be returned to Nauru, says Aussie minister
Asylum baby will be returned to Nauru, says Aussie minister
Jordanian king and British MPs in London discuss Middle Eastern developments
- King Abdullah is scheduled to meet UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer and is due to chair a new round of the Aqaba Process initiative
- He warned that Israel’s illegal actions in the occupied West Bank undermine efforts to restore calm
LONDON: King Abdullah II of Jordan met in London on Monday with former British officials and members of Parliament to discuss the latest developments in the region.
King Abdullah warned that Israel’s illegal actions in the occupied West Bank, which aim to consolidate settlements and impose sovereignty over Palestinian land, undermine efforts to restore calm and threaten to escalate the conflict, according to the Petra news agency.
Discussions also addressed the UK’s role in supporting efforts to restore stability within the region, alongside developments in Jerusalem, Gaza, Syria, and Iran.
Crown Prince Hussein accompanies the Jordanian king, who is scheduled to meet UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer and is due to chair a new round of the Aqaba Process initiative, launched in 2015, Petra added.









