Man dies after shark bite off Western Australia coast

A general view shows the closed signage of the North Steyne Beach in Sydney on January 19, 2026. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 16 May 2026
Follow

Man dies after shark bite off Western Australia coast

SYDNEY: A ‌man attacked by a shark off Western Australia’s coast on Saturday died of ​his injuries, police said, in what is the second fatal shark attack in Australia so far this year.
The 38-year-old victim, yet to be identified, was bitten on Saturday morning at Horseshoe ‌Reef near ‌Rottnest Island, about 31 ​km (19.2 ‌miles) ⁠west ​of state ⁠capital Perth, police said in a statement.
The man was taken to shore but could not be revived, police said, adding that a report would be prepared ⁠for the coroner.
State authorities ‌advised people ‌to take extra caution ​in the water at ‌Rottnest Island, a popular tourist ‌destination.
Aerial footage from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation showed a police boat, police officers, and a rescue helicopter with a ‌stretcher at the scene.
The attack follows the death in ⁠January ⁠of a boy bitten by a shark in Sydney Harbor, after a series of shark attacks along the country’s east coast.
Most shark attacks occur along the east and southeast seaboard of Australia, which averages around 20 such incidents a year, according to ​Australia’s Institute ​of Health and Welfare.