Zelensky says Kyiv working with US, other partners on peace proposals

A mother with her children pray during service at the Holy Apostle Andrew church in Bucha, Ukraine, on Sunday, Nov. 23, 2025. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 24 November 2025
Follow

Zelensky says Kyiv working with US, other partners on peace proposals

  • Ukraine’s red lines for negotiations are the formal recognition of occupied territories, limits on Ukraine’s defense forces, and restrictions on Ukraine’s future alliances, an official said

KYIV: Ukraine will continue to work with partners including the US on peace proposals, President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Monday, the second day of talks in Switzerland after Washington proposed a plan calling for concessions from Kyiv.
“We all continue working with partners, especially the United States, to look for compromises that will strengthen but not weaken us,” Zelensky said via video link from Sweden where he was attending a summit of countries seeking Russian withdrawal from Ukraine’s occupied Crimea Peninsula.

On Sunday, Ukraine and the United States said in a joint statement they had drafted a “refined peace framework” after talks in Geneva, although they did not provide specifics.
Zelensky said Russia must pay for the war in Ukraine and that a decision on using frozen Russian assets was crucial.
“Right now, we are at a critical moment,” he said.
“There is a lot of noise in the media, and all the political pressure, and even greater responsibility for the decisions ahead.”

Ukraine’s red lines for negotiations are the formal recognition of occupied territories, limits on Ukraine’s defense forces, and restrictions on Ukraine’s future alliances, the speaker of the country’s parliament said on Monday.

Those positions have been long stated by Ukraine, but run counter to the proposals in a US-backed peace proposal presented to Kyiv last week.

Speaking at the Crimea Platform summit in Sweden, speaker Ruslan Stefanchuk also said membership of the EU and NATO must be elements of Ukraine’s security guarantees and any peace plan.


Bus with Chinese tourists crashes through ice on Russia’s Lake Baikal, killing 8

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Bus with Chinese tourists crashes through ice on Russia’s Lake Baikal, killing 8

  • One of the Chinese tourists managed to escape from the bus
  • The bus plunged into a 3-meter (10-foot) -wide ice crevasse

MOSCOW: A tour bus carrying Chinese tourists plunged through the ice on Russia’s Lake Baikal, killing eight people, officials said.
One of the Chinese tourists managed to escape from the bus, which was crossing the frozen lake on Friday, Irkutsk regional Gov. Igor Kobzev wrote in a Telegram post on Saturday. He said the dead included seven Chinese tourists and the driver.
The bus plunged into a 3-meter (10-foot) -wide ice crevasse, Russia’s Emergencies Ministry reported. The lake is 18 meters (59 feet) deep at the site of the accident, it said. The ministry said rescuers used underwater cameras before embarking on a diving operation.
The regional prosecutor’s office said a criminal probe had been opened. The Irkutsk tourism office reported on Saturday that the bus tour had been run by an unregistered operator.
Lake Baikal, the world’s deepest freshwater lake, is one of Russia’s key tourism attractions. Numbers of Chinese visitors to the country soared in recent years, after Moscow and Beijing introduced a mutual visa-free regime.