South Africa win toss, elect to bat in series-deciding ODI against Pakistan

Pakistan's captain Shaheen Shah Afridi (left) greets his South African counterpart Matthew Breetzke during the toss before the start of the third and final one-day international (ODI) cricket match between Pakistan and South Africa at the Iqbal Stadium in Faisalabad on November 8, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 08 November 2025
Follow

South Africa win toss, elect to bat in series-deciding ODI against Pakistan

  • The series is leveled 1-1 after Pakistan won the first game and South Africa bounced back in the second
  • Pakistan’s Haris Rauf has returned after serving two-match ban, Abrar Ahmed replaces Mohammad Wasim

ISLAMABAD: South Africa won its first toss on the tour of Pakistan and elected to bat in the third and final ODI of a three-match series in Faisalabad on Saturday.

The series is leveled 1-1 after Pakistan won the first game and South Africa bounced back with the help of Quinton de Kock’s unbeaten century to win the second game by eight wickets.

Pakistan’s Haris Rauf returned after serving two-match ban for violating ICC code of conduct during the Asia Cup in late September and replaced Naseem Shah. Leg-spinner Abrar Ahmed replaced Mohammad Wasim.

“South Africa opt to bat first in the series decider at Iqbal Stadium, Faisalabad,” the Pakistan Cricket said on X, following the toss.

Debutant wicketkeeper-batter Rubin Hermann, 28, has been called in by South Africa to replace injured Sinethemba Qeshile. Lungi Ngidi has been brought back in place of spinner George Linde.

SQUADS

Pakistan: Fakhar Zaman, Saim Ayub, Salman Ali Agha, Hussain Talat, Faheem Ashraf, Babar Azam, Mohammad Rizwan, Mohammad Nawaz, Shaheen Shah Afridi (captain), Abrar Ahmed, Haris Rauf
South Africa: Quinton de Kock, Lhuan-dre Pretorius, Lungi Ngidi, Tony de Zorzi, Matthew Breetzke (captain), Corbin Bosch, Bjorn Fortuin, Nqabayomzi Peter, Nandre Burger, Rubin Hermann, Donovan Ferreira
 


Two killed in suicide blast targeting security forces in Pakistan’s northwest

Updated 59 min 22 sec ago
Follow

Two killed in suicide blast targeting security forces in Pakistan’s northwest

  • Multiple people were injured in the attack in Bannu district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province
  • It comes days after militants rammed explosive-laden vehicle into checkpost, killing 12 people

ISLAMABAD: Two security personnel, including an officer, were killed, while multiple others sustained injuries when a suicide blast targeted their vehicle in Pakistan’s northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province, a police official said.

The suicide bomber hit his explosive-laden motorbike into an armored vehicle of security forces in Sara Darga area of KP’s Bannu district, according to a local police official who requested anonymity.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, but the Pakistani Taliban, or the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), have carried out similar assaults in the region in past.

“The attack had damaged the armored vehicle, causing deaths and injuries,” he told Arab News, adding that they suspected the Pakistani Taliban to be behind the attack.

Pakistan has struggled to contain a surge in militancy in KP, which borders Afghanistan, in recent years, with militant groups, particularly the TTP, frequently targeting security forces, law enforcers and government officials in the region.

Earlier this week, Pakistani Taliban militants rammed an explosive-laden vehicle into a checkpost jointly manned by security forces and law enforcement agencies in KP’s Bajaur district, killing 11 security personnel among 12 people, the Pakistani military’s media wing said.

Islamabad accuses Afghanistan of allowing the use of its soil and India of backing militant groups for cross-border attacks against Pakistan. Kabul and New Delhi deny this.