First Afghan families allowed into Germany from Pakistan

Flight passengers of Afghan families who fled the Taliban are welcomed at the airport after arriving in Hannover-Langenhagen, northwestern Germany, on September 1, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 01 September 2025
Follow

First Afghan families allowed into Germany from Pakistan

  • The 10 families have been among more than 2,000 Afghans caught in limbo in Pakistan
  • Germany’s conservative-led government this year froze program to offer them sanctuary

HANOVER: A group of 45 Afghans who fled the Taliban arrived in Germany on Monday after months of waiting in Pakistan until German court rulings forced Berlin to offer them refuge.

The 10 families have been among more than 2,000 Afghans caught in limbo in Pakistan as Germany’s conservative-led government this year froze a program to offer them sanctuary.

They arrived in Hanover on a commercial flight from Istanbul around 2:00 p.m. (1200 GMT), said an AFP reporter and the Airbridge Kabul initiative set up to help those affected.

An interior ministry spokeswoman later confirmed that “45 Afghan nationals entered Germany. These are all individuals who obtained visas through legal proceedings... All of these individuals have fully completed the admission procedure and security screening.”

After the Taliban returned to power in 2021, Germany set up a scheme to offer sanctuary to Afghans who had worked for German institutions or were otherwise deemed at high risk of persecution, including rights activists and journalists.

But the scheme was frozen under conservative Chancellor Friedrich Merz, who took office in May, as part of a wider crackdown on immigration.

While the Afghans have been left stranded in Pakistan, authorities there have also stepped up a crackdown on Afghans living in the country without residency.

Last month, Berlin said around 450 Afghans waiting to come to Germany had been detained, and more than 200 of them were sent back to their Taliban-run homeland.

While alarm has grown about their fate, Germany has agreed to resume accepting some of the others.

The government said last week that Afghans for whom “courts have found that Germany is legally obliged to issue visas” would travel to Germany “in stages” once they had cleared security checks.

The 10 main applicants who arrived on Monday were eight women and two men who had been involved in “politics, the justice system and journalism,” said Eva Beyer, a spokeswoman for the Airbridge Kabul initiative.

Around 85 other stranded Afghans have begun legal proceedings against Germany, “and there are more every day,” Beyer said.


Islamabad says engagement with Afghanistan hinges on action against militant groups

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Islamabad says engagement with Afghanistan hinges on action against militant groups

  • Tensions have been high between Islamabad and Kabul over the increase in militant attacks inside Pakistan
  • Minister says economic aspects do come in between, but Pakistan's security remains their highest priority

KARACHI: Any engagement between Pakistan and Afghanistan depends on concrete action by Kabul against militant groups, Pakistan's commerce minister said on Monday, citing a surge in militant attacks inside Pakistan.

Tensions have been high between Islamabad and Kabul over the increase in militant attacks that Pakistan has blamed on Afghanistan-based militant groups, an allegation denied by the Taliban authorities.

The attacks triggered one of the worst skirmishes between the neighbors in Oct. last year, after Islamabad hit what it called Pakistani Taliban targets inside Afghanistan. Pakistan has since suspended all trade with Afghanistan, despite a ceasefire reached in Doha on Oct. 19.

Commerce Minister Jam Kamal Khan said on Monday that Pakistan has made it clear at all levels that it could not make any compromise on its security and that militants using Afghan soil need to be "handled."

"If we have to engage in any form, Afghanistan has to address this aspect of terrorism first," he said on X. "In recent months, many such incidents have taken place and we see an increase in it."

There was no immediate response to the statement from the Afghan side, which comes as the suspension of trade between the neighbors has been severely impacting traders on either side of the border.

Kamal said they welcomed any dialogue and ways to facilitate trade but could not pursue them in the presence of militant "safe havens" in Afghanistan.

"Economic aspects do come in between, however, we keep our sovereignty and security as the highest priority," he added.