A stabbing attack in Amsterdam wounds five people, including four foreigners

Medical staff stand in the area where five people were wounded during a stabbing attack near the central Dam Square in Amsterdam, Mar. 27, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 27 March 2025
Follow

A stabbing attack in Amsterdam wounds five people, including four foreigners

  • Two Americans were among those hurt, along with one victim from Belgium, one from Poland and one from the Netherlands
  • No motive has been established, but police are considering that it was a random attack

AMSTERDAM: A knife-wielding assailant in Amsterdam seriously wounded five people — including two from the United States, one from Belgium and one from Poland — in a stabbing attack Thursday on a busy shopping street, Dutch police said.
The attack lasted several minutes before the assailant was stopped by a passerby near the city’s Dam Square in the late afternoon. Police cordoned off the area and several ambulances and a trauma helicopter were called to the scene.
Authorities said in a statement that no motive had been established for the attack, but that police were considering a scenario where the man targeted victims at random.
The victims were identified as a 67-year-old woman and a 69-year old man from the United States, a 73-year-old woman from Belgium, a 26-year-old man from Poland and a 19-year old Dutch woman from Amsterdam.
“The police investigation is in full swing and has full priority at the moment. We hope to soon get more clarity about the background of this horrible stabbing,” Amsterdam Mayor Femke Halsema said in a statement. Our hearts go out to the victims, their families and loved ones,”
The assailant was injured when he was overpowered by a bystander. “The suspect was detained with the help of a civilian,” police spokesperson Eline Roovers told The Associated Press.
Last year, the city experienced several stabbings attributed to people with mental health issues. Amsterdam set up a hotline last month for residents to report concerns about irrational behavior. The reporting mechanism was recommended after an investigation showed that a man was stabbed to death by his neighbor.


Jordanian king and British MPs in London discuss Middle Eastern developments

Updated 11 sec ago
Follow

Jordanian king and British MPs in London discuss Middle Eastern developments

  • King Abdullah is scheduled to meet UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer and is due to chair a new round of the Aqaba Process initiative
  • He warned that Israel’s illegal actions in the occupied West Bank undermine efforts to restore calm

LONDON: King Abdullah II of Jordan met in London on Monday with former British officials and members of Parliament to discuss the latest developments in the region.

King Abdullah warned that Israel’s illegal actions in the occupied West Bank, which aim to consolidate settlements and impose sovereignty over Palestinian land, undermine efforts to restore calm and threaten to escalate the conflict, according to the Petra news agency.

Discussions also addressed the UK’s role in supporting efforts to restore stability within the region, alongside developments in Jerusalem, Gaza, Syria, and Iran.

Crown Prince Hussein accompanies the Jordanian king, who is scheduled to meet UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer and is due to chair a new round of the Aqaba Process initiative, launched in 2015, Petra added.