French prosecutors won’t investigate sexual abuse allegations against revered priest Abbé Pierre

Abbe Pierre addresses journalists in his home of Alfortville, east of Paris, on Aug. 5, 2005. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 05 February 2025
Follow

French prosecutors won’t investigate sexual abuse allegations against revered priest Abbé Pierre

  • Abbé Pierre was a French Catholic priest renowned for his dedication to aiding the poor and homeless, and was long seen as the conscience of France

PARIS: The Paris prosecutor said Tuesday it cannot investigate allegations by several women who said they were sexually assaulted or harassed by Abbé Pierre, a nationally revered priest and humanitarian crusader who died in 2007.
The allegations against him first surfaced last year and were detailed in an internal report by Abbé Pierre’s foundations. The French Catholic Church last month asked prosecutors to initiate an investigation, saying it wanted to uncover the full extent of the abuse, any other victims and any systemic cover-up.
The Paris prosecutor’s office said Tuesday that it looked into legal options, but that Abbé Pierre’s death makes it impossible to open an investigation into his past actions.
It also studied whether to investigate those who covered up or failed to report the abuse allegations, but because of statute of limitations, no investigation is possible.
Abbé Pierre was a French Catholic priest renowned for his dedication to aiding the poor and homeless, and was long seen as the conscience of France. In 1949, he founded the Emmaüs movement, an international organization focused on combating poverty and homelessness.
The allegations against him were an important step in France’s broader reckoning with clerical abuse.
In July 2024, Emmaüs International and the Fondation Abbé Pierre released a report detailing accusations from seven women, including one who was a minor at the time, alleging sexual assault and harassment by Abbé Pierre between the late 1970s and 2005. A dedicated channel for victims led to 17 additional accusations, with incidents reportedly occurring from the 1950s to the 2000s across various countries, including France, the United States, Morocco and Switzerland.

 


Jordanian king and British MPs in London discuss Middle Eastern developments

Updated 16 February 2026
Follow

Jordanian king and British MPs in London discuss Middle Eastern developments

  • King Abdullah is scheduled to meet UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer and is due to chair a new round of the Aqaba Process initiative
  • He warned that Israel’s illegal actions in the occupied West Bank undermine efforts to restore calm

LONDON: King Abdullah II of Jordan met in London on Monday with former British officials and members of Parliament to discuss the latest developments in the region.

King Abdullah warned that Israel’s illegal actions in the occupied West Bank, which aim to consolidate settlements and impose sovereignty over Palestinian land, undermine efforts to restore calm and threaten to escalate the conflict, according to the Petra news agency.

Discussions also addressed the UK’s role in supporting efforts to restore stability within the region, alongside developments in Jerusalem, Gaza, Syria, and Iran.

Crown Prince Hussein accompanies the Jordanian king, who is scheduled to meet UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer and is due to chair a new round of the Aqaba Process initiative, launched in 2015, Petra added.