EU expresses concern over sentencing of civilians by Pakistani military court

European Union flags fly outside the European Commission building in Brussel on June 1, 2022. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 23 December 2024
Follow

EU expresses concern over sentencing of civilians by Pakistani military court

  • Pakistani military announced on Saturday the sentencing of 25 people over violent protests in May 2023 over ex-PM Khan’s arrest
  • EU says Pakistan signed International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which entitles every person to ‘fair, public trial’

ISLAMABAD: The European Union (EU) on Sunday expressed concern over the sentencing of 25 Pakistani civilians by a military court in the South Asian country, saying it was “inconsistent” with Pakistan’s international obligations.
The Pakistani military announced on Saturday the sentencing of 25 people for participating in violent protests on May 9, 2023, when hundreds carrying flags of former prime minister Imran Khan’s party had attacked government and military installations.
The protests, which erupted in several Pakistani cities, followed Khan’s brief detention on corruption charges from an Islamabad court, resulting in damage to major military facilities and martyrs’ monuments in the country.
The military said it had gathered “irrefutable evidence” against those prosecuted. Khan’s Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party has demanded a judicial investigation into the May 9, 2023 events and said Saturday’s verdicts were “against the principles of justice.”
“These verdicts are seen as inconsistent with the obligations that Pakistan has undertaken under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR),” Anouar El Anouni a spokesperson for EU foreign affairs and security policy, said in a statement.
“In line with article 14 of ICCPR every person is entitled to a fair and public trial in a court that is independent, impartial and competent, and has the right to adequate and effective legal representation. It also stipulates that any judgment rendered in a criminal case shall be made public.”
The statement noted that under the EU’s Generalized Scheme of Preferences Plus (GSP+), beneficiary countries, including Pakistan, had voluntarily agreed to effectively implement 27 international core conventions, including the ICCPR, in order to continue benefitting from the special trade arrangement. The preferential trade status under the GSP+ scheme grants Pakistani exports duty-free access to the European market.
The EU has previously raised concerns over extremist violence perpetrated in the name of religion in Pakistan, specifically mentioning its blasphemy laws and forced conversions, which it says have marginalized religious minorities.
The sentencing of civilians in May 2023 riots cases has also raised concerns among supporters of ex-PM Khan, who faces charges of inciting attacks against the armed forces and may potentially be tried in a military court.
Pakistan has remained gripped by political unrest and uncertainty since Khan’s ouster from power through a parliamentary no-confidence vote in April 2022, which has also exacerbated Pakistan’s economic hardships.
On Sunday, the Pakistani government formed a committee to hold talks with the opposition PTI party on a range of issues causing political polarization, Pakistani state media reported. Senior government representatives have also recently acknowledged that negotiations could offer a pathway out of the current political impasse.


Pakistan coach says dressing room hurting after India capitulation

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan coach says dressing room hurting after India capitulation

  • Ishan Kishan’s 77 powered India to 175-7 before bowlers sealed 61-run victory on Sunday
  • Pakistan collapsed to 13-3 and were bowled out for 114 in T20 World Cup Group A match

COLOMBO: Head coach Mike Hesson admitted Pakistan's players were hurting in the dressing room after their crushing 61-run defeat to arch-rivals India in Colombo on Sunday.

India dominated the T20 World Cup Group A match which had been in doubt until a few days ago when the Pakistan government cleared the team to play.

India, the defending champions, posted a fighting 175-7 after they were sent in to bat on a tacky R. Premadasa stadium pitch before they routed Pakistan for 114.

"There's a pretty disappointed dressing room in there at the moment, because they know how much it means to Pakistan," said Hesson, who was in charge for his fourth defeat in a row to India following three at last year's Asia Cup.

"We know that it's a huge event, Pakistan against India. We obviously won five games on the bounce before today so we were confident, but today we got outplayed," said Hesson.

Ishan Kishan's brilliant 77 helped India recover from a first-over dismissal of explosive opener Abhishek Sharma before Suryakumar Yadav (32) and Shivam Dube (27) lifted the total.

Pakistan slumped to 13-3 with India's Jasprit Bumrah removing Saim Ayub (six) and skipper Salman Agha (four) in the second over.

Usman Khan top-scored with 44 as Pakistan were bowled out in 18 overs, with 114 their third lowest total against India in all T20s.

Hesson defended the decision to bowl first at a stadium where three previous matches were won by the team batting first.

"I think the ball was spinning quite a lot initially and we started off well but I think the way Kishan played, he took the game away from us."

India's third win in as many games took them to the Super Eights stage while Pakistan now need to win their last game against Namibia on Wednesday.

The defeat further worsened Pakistan's win-loss record in World Cups against India to 1-8. They have lost all eight matches to India at the ODI World Cup.

"We have to pick ourselves up and make sure that we're very good in two or three days," said Hesson.

"We have played some good cricket in the lead-up to this World Cup so we're confident to do well in the tournament."