Pakistan’s privatization minister says no objection to provinces acquiring national airline

The picture taken on October 11, 2023, shows people boarding a Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) plane at Gilgit Airport in Pakistan's northern Gilgit-Baltistan region. (AN photo by Fatimah Amjad)
Short Url
Updated 04 November 2024
Follow

Pakistan’s privatization minister says no objection to provinces acquiring national airline

  • Punjab, KP governments have expressed willingness to acquire stakes in national airline 
  • Islamabad last week kickstarted PIA’s privatization process, receiving a low bid of $36 million for it

KARACHI: Privatization Minister Abdul Aleem Khan has said that the center would welcome bids from Pakistan’s Punjab and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) and other provinces for the national flag carrier, stressing that the Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) was a “national asset” which his government would not sell for trinkets. 

Khan’s statement comes after the government kickstarted the loss-making PIA’s privatization process on Thursday, holding a televised auction in which it received the sole bid of Rs10 billion ($36 million) from Blue World City, a real estate development firm. The bid fell far short of the minimum price of Rs85 billion ($305 million) set by the government. The KP government formally offered to exceed the bid on Friday, saying the airline should remain under government control to preserve its status. 

Former prime minister Nawaz Sharif, chief of the ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) party and father of Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz, said last week that the Punjab government was mulling acquiring the PIA and renaming it “Air Punjab.”

Speaking to reporters on Sunday, Khan said it was not his job as privatization minister to reform the national flag carrier rather it was his job to sell the airline in “whatever condition it is in.”

“It is a very good development that if the KP, Punjab, Sindh or Balochistan governments want to acquire it [PIA] together, why would we object,” Khan asked. “We would be very happy if all of you acquire it and bring in a very professional management.”

Khan defended the PIA’s privatization process, saying that his government will ensure the process is conducted in a very efficient manner. 

“PIA is our national asset, I cannot sell it for trinkets,” he said. “I can sell any personal belonging of mine even for free [but not a national asset].”

Separately, Sindh Governor Kamran Tessori said Karachi’s traders are interested in acquiring the national airline. 

“Karachi’s businesspersons are constantly contacting me to talk about the airline’s matters,” Tessori wrote on social media platform X on Monday. “Karachi’s businesspersons want the PIA to be given to them for a year and they are also interested in starting a new airline,” he added. 

The Sindh governor said he had advised Karachi’s businesspersons to name any new airline they would manage as “PK” in which P would stand for Pakistan and K for Karachi. 

“If Karachi Air is started, it would provide additional opportunities for jobs,” Tessori said. “I want to become the voice of the traders and give this country and its people jobs and prosperity.”

Pakistan decided to move ahead with PIA’s privatization under terms agreed with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) for a 37-month, $7 billion bailout approved in September, aiming to divest over 51 percent of its stake in the financially struggling national carrier.

Critics, including PIA union representatives and independent analysts, last week called the $36 million bid an “embarrassment” for the government, with airline employees suggesting Pakistani authorities should expand PIA’s fleet to restore its operational viability.

A popular airline during its heydays in the ‘60s and ‘70s, PIA has grappled with financial losses, mismanagement, and operational challenges in recent years. It has also been burdened by a high debt load, inefficiencies, and corruption allegations, resulting in an overall decline in its financial performance.

The disposal of the flag carrier is a step that past elected governments have steered away from as it is expected to be unpopular with the masses. 


Pakistan increases Reko Diq investment to $244 million as Barrick reviews project

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan increases Reko Diq investment to $244 million as Barrick reviews project

  • State-owned PPL injects $50.2 million more in special purpose vehicle formed to manage Islamabad’s 25 percent stake in copper-gold mine
  • Canadian operator Barrick Mining Corporation this month ordered project’s review following deadly separatist attacks in Balochistan province

KARACHI: The state-run Pakistan Petroleum Limited (PPL) has invested an additional Rs14 billion ($50.2 million) equity in the multi-billion-dollar Reko Diq copper-gold mine, the company said in its latest financial report on Thursday, as the project’s Canadian operator reviews the project following recently deadly attacks. 

Canada’s Barrick Mining Corporation owns a 50 percent share in Reko Diq in the southwestern Balochistan province, along with three Pakistani federal state-owned enterprises including PPL that own 25 percent, while the Balochistan government has the remaining 25 percent share in the project.

The Canadian company announced earlier this month it planned to “immediately” begin a comprehensive review of all aspects of the Reko Diq project following coordinated attacks in Balochistan on Jan. 30-31 that killed 36 civilians and 22 security forces personnel. 

“With respect to the Reko Diq project, the company has made further equity investment in Pakistan Minerals Private Limited (PMPL) during the period amounting to Rs14,025 million ($50.2m),” PPL told its shareholders in its financial statement for the half year ending at Dec. 31.

The additional equity has increased PPL’s total cost of investment in the PMPL to Rs68.1 billion ($243.6 million), it added. 

The PMPL is a special purpose vehicle formed to manage the federal government’s 25 percent stake in the Reko Diq project. It is a consortium of three state-owned enterprises (SOEs) namely the PPL, the Oil & Gas Development Company Limited (OGDCL) and Government Holdings (Private) Limited (GHPL) which is responsible for handling financing, equity contributions and strategic, legal or technical dealings with partners like Barrick.

“The project continued to advance site works during the period (July-December FY26),” the PPL said. “The operator (Barrick) is undertaking a review of all aspects of the project, including with respect to the project’s security arrangements, development timetable and capital budget.” 

This week, Balochistan Chief Minister Sarfraz Bugti assured investors that Pakistan has the “capacity and capability” to secure the Reko Diq project amid surging militancy. 

The PPL explores, drills, and produces oil and natural gas. Its current portfolio, together with its subsidiaries and associates, consists of 47 exploratory blocks that include one offshore Block-5 in Abu Dhabi and one onshore block in Yemen.

In December, PPL signed a strategic Deed of Assignment under which it assigned 25 percent of its participating interest (PI) and operatorship of Eastern Offshore Indus C block to Turkish Petroleum Overseas Company, a unit of state-owned Türkiye Petrolleri Anonim Ortaklığı.

Assigning 20 percent PI each to OGDCL and Mari Energies Limited, the company has retained the remaining 35 percent PI to play a key role in the block’s development.