Spanish royals visit flood-hit region as fresh downpours loom

Firefighters dig up the wreckage of car in search of victims buried on a riverbank in Paiporta, in the region of Valencia, eastern Spain, on November 3, 2024, in the aftermath of devastating deadly floods. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 03 November 2024
Follow

Spanish royals visit flood-hit region as fresh downpours loom

  • Hopes of finding survivors ebbed five days after torrents of muddy water wrecked towns and infrastructure in Spain’s worst such disaster in decades

VALENCIA: Spain’s King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia on Sunday just after midday arrived in the Valencia region where devastating floods have killed more than 200 people, television images showed.
The royals, accompanied by Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez, visited Paiporta — one of the worst affected towns — and are due to move on to Chiva, another battered town close to Valencia, later in the day.
Hopes of finding survivors ebbed five days after torrents of muddy water wrecked towns and infrastructure in Spain’s worst such disaster in decades.
Nearly all the deaths have been in the Valencia region, where thousands of security and emergency services frantically cleared debris and mud in the search for bodies.
Describing “the worst natural disaster in the recent history of our country,” Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said it was the second deadliest flood in Europe this century.
Sanchez was expected to accompany King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia as well as the Valencia region leader Carlos Mazon on a visit to the areas affected by the floods on Sunday, according to the premier’s office. The exact program of their visit has not yet been made public.
The monarchs’ visit comes as Spain’s meterological agency issued a fresh warning for heavy downpours in the Valencia region.
Up to 100 liters per square meter (22 gallons per square yard) of water could fall in the province of Castellon and the area surrounding the city of Valencia, the agency forecast.
It also sounded the alarm for torrential rain that may cause flooding in the southern province of Almeria, advising residents not to travel unless strictly necessary.
Restoring order and distributing aid to destroyed towns and villages — some of which have been cut off from food, water and power since Tuesday’s torrent — is a priority.
With Spain deploying an extra 10,000 troops, police and civil guards to the Valencia region, the country was carrying out its largest deployment of military and security force personnel in peacetime, Sanchez said.
Officers made around 20 arrests on Saturday evening for thievery and acts of looting, police said, with the authorities pledging to crack down on those taking advantage of the disaster to commit crimes.
Authorities — including Mazon — have come under fire over the warning systems before the floods, and some stricken residents have complained that the response to the disaster has been too slow.
“I am aware the response is not enough, there are problems and severe shortages... towns buried by mud, desperate people searching for their relatives... we have to improve,” Sanchez said.
In the ground-zero towns of Alfafar and Sedavi, AFP reporters saw no soldiers while residents shovelled mud from their homes and firefighters pumped water from garages and tunnels.
“Thank you to the people who have come to help us, to all of them, because from the authorities: nothing,” a furious Estrella Caceres, 66, told AFP in Sedavi.
In Chiva, a town west of Valencia which Spanish media reported may be visited by the monarchs, Danna Daniella said she had been cleaning her restaurant for three days straight and was still in shock.
“It feels like the end of the world,” the woman in her 30s said.
She said she was haunted by memories of the people trapped by the raging floodwaters “asking for help and there was nothing we could do.”
“It drives you crazy. You look for answers and you don’t find them.”
With telephone and transport networks severely damaged, establishing a precise figure of missing people is difficult.
Sanchez said electricity had been restored to 94 percent of homes affected by power outages and that around half of the cut telephone lines had been repaired.
Transport Minister Oscar Puente told El Pais daily that certain places would probably remain inaccessible by land for weeks.
Ordinary citizens carrying food, water and cleaning equipment have continued their grassroots initiative to assist the recovery, although authorities have urged people to stay at home to avoid congestion on the roads that would hamper the work of emergency services.
On Sunday, the Valencian government limited the number of volunteers authorized to travel to the city’s southern suburbs to 2,000 and restricted access to 12 localities.
The storm that sparked the floods on Tuesday formed as cold air moved over the warm waters of the Mediterranean and is common for this time of year.
But scientists warn climate change driven by human activity is increasing the ferocity, length and frequency of such extreme weather events.
Emergency services late on Saturday issued an updated toll of 213 people confirmed killed — 210 in the Valencia region, two in neighboring Castilla-La Mancha and one in Andalusia in the south.
Authorities have warned the toll could yet rise, as vehicles trapped in tunnels and underground car parks are cleared.


Pure extortion: foreign workers face violence and exploitation in Croatia

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Pure extortion: foreign workers face violence and exploitation in Croatia

ZAGREB — HRV: When DD left his home in India for Croatia last year, he expected his food delivery work to be hard, with long hours and low pay. He did not expect to be spat at in the street.
Twice last year the 27-year-old from Chandigarh was abused by groups of young people while working. Some spat at him, others shouted at him to “go back to your own country” as they tried to steal his delivery bag.
For the young foreign worker, one of the tens of thousands drawn to the EU nation every year, it was a rough welcome — but one he said is increasingly common among his colleagues.
As Croatia struggles with growing staff shortages, particularly in its key tourism sector, experts warn its badly needed foreign workers are left vulnerable to violence and exploitation.
“I just came to work and live peacefully,” DD, who asked to be referred to only by his initials, told AFP.
“We are not stealing jobs.”
Croatia has one of the five fastest-declining populations in the European Union, losing nearly 400,000 people over the past decade, according to the World Bank.
The shortages have driven a steady rise in the number of workers arriving from Asia — particularly since Croatia joined Europe’s passport-free Schengen zone in 2023.
Last year, four out of 10 work and residency permits were issued to Nepalis, Filipinos, Indians and Bangladeshis, mostly in the tourism, catering and construction industries.
It is a dramatic change for a largely conservative society with extremely limited experience of immigration from outside Europe.
According to the last census, more than 90 percent of Croatia’s 3.8 million people are ethnic Croats, while about 80 percent are Roman Catholic.

- Broken jaws, cracked ribs -

In WhatsApp groups used by DD’s fellow delivery riders, many share stories of almost weekly attacks, with the worst reporting broken jaws and cracked ribs.
While national crime data does not break down rates by victims’ nationality, the number of crimes against Nepali nationals rose sharply in 2024, outpacing the roughly 50-percent growth of its diaspora in Croatia.
Comparable increases were recorded among Indian, Filipino and Bangladeshi nationals.
But food delivery company Wolt said many attacks on its delivery riders, which are committed mainly by opportunistic young people, went unreported.
Most foreign workers arrive through private agencies or employers that usually offer little support, according to unions.
Some employers also offer overcrowded and unsafe housing at hefty rates.
Delivery rider Hasan, who did not give his surname for fear of losing his job, said he had been charged 270 euros ($319) a month for an “unliveable” room shared with five other men.
Breaches of arbitrary rules, such as a visitor ban, could attract hefty “fines” from his previous employer, who leased him the room.
“It’s pure extortion,” said the 27-year-old from India.
He was also expected to work 12 hours a day, seven days a week.
“You are like their slaves.”

- Hardening attitudes -

As migrant numbers grow, public attitudes appear to be hardening.
An Institute for Migration Research (IMR) survey found that more than 60 percent of Croatians were dissatisfied with the presence of foreign workers, up from 46 percent a year earlier.
Fears over a potential rise in crime rates, impacts on local wages, job losses and cultural differences were among the top complaints of those surveyed.
“When people feel their livelihoods are threatened, support for radical positions is more likely,” sociologist Ivan Balabanic said.
Some right-wing politicians have seized on the issue to push anti-immigrant rhetoric and portray foreign workers as part of a plot to “replace” European populations.
The conservative government, which has condemned the violence against foreign workers, recently moved to improve protections but also to require language tests for long-term workers.
DD said most Croatians were “generally friendly,” but without the ability to speak the local language, he had struggled to fit in.
Balabanic said politicians needed to stop treating the issue as “taboo” and discuss the need for foreign workers candidly.
“This is our reality and must be acknowledged as such.”