Sinwar’s death brings no respite for Gazans

Displaced Palestinian children queue for food in a camp in Deir al-Balah, Gaza Strip, Friday, Oct. 18, 2024. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 18 October 2024
Follow

Sinwar’s death brings no respite for Gazans

  • Civilians remain trapped, hungry, and sick, often under heavy bombardment: UNRWA chief

GAZA CITY: The killing of Hamas chief Yahya Sinwar brought no respite for Palestinians in Gaza, as Israeli airstrikes and shelling continued unabated in the territory already devastated by more than a year of war.

Raids continued in the besieged enclave in the hours after Israel announced the death of the militant leader they have long accused of masterminding the Oct. 7 attack last year — a key war aim for Israel.
Following a strike at dawn, Gaza’s civil defense agency said rescuers recovered the bodies of three Palestinian children from the rubble of their home in the north of the territory.
“We always thought that when this moment arrived, the war would end and our lives would return to normal,” said Jemaa Abou Mendi, a 21-year-old Gaza resident.

NUMBER

42,500

Palestinians have been killed in Israel’s Gaza onslaught.

“But unfortunately, the reality on the ground is quite the opposite. The war has not stopped, and the killings continue unabated.”
Large swaths of northern Gaza remained under siege by Israeli forces, with road closures preventing the delivery of supplies to the area — despite warnings from the United States that failure to end the blockade could trigger a reduction in arms deliveries to Israel.
“While we hear that delivery of aid will increase, people in Gaza are not feeling any difference,” Philippe Lazzarini, the head of the UN agency for Palestinian refugees, wrote on X.
“They continue to be trapped, hungry, and sick, often under heavy bombardment.”
As news of the death of Sinwar sunk in, many in Gaza saw little reason for the Israeli army to press on with its war in the territory.
“If Sinwar’s assassination was one of the objectives of this war, well, today they have killed Yahya Sinwar,” said Mustafa Al-Zaeem, a 47-year-old resident from the Rimal neighborhood in western Gaza City.
“Enough death, enough hunger, enough siege. Enough thirst and starvation, enough bodies and blood.”
Israel’s campaign to crush Hamas and bring back the hostages has killed 42,500 people in Gaza, the majority civilians, according to data from the Health Ministry in the territory, which the UN considers reliable.
US President Joe Biden said on Friday he impressed upon Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during a conversation to “also make this moment an opportunity to seek a path to peace, a better future in Gaza without Hamas.”
Pressure has also been mounting in Israel to leverage the killing of Sinwar into a tangible plan to secure the release of the remaining hostages held captive in Gaza.
Israeli President Isaac Herzog and Netanyahu met on Friday to discuss the aftermath of Sinwar’s death, including the hostages.
A statement released by the presidency said that “a significant window of opportunity opened — including the promotion of the return of the hostages and the elimination of Hamas.”
Late on Thursday, Netanyahu vowed that those who helped free the hostages in Gaza would be spared.
“Whoever lays down his weapon and returns our hostages — we will allow him to go on living,” he said.
But in Gaza, some remained skeptical over the fate of the hostages and what any deal would entail for their future.
“Today, Israel is lost and will be searching for the hostages,” said Zaeem.
Others saw little reason to trust Netanyahu and only feared more war.
“What we see is that Netanyahu’s focus is on Gaza — on killing, destruction, and eradication, as the bombings and massacres continue across Gaza,” said Mahmoud Obeid, 42, from northern Gaza.
“What we fear most is the continuation of this cursed war.”


Morocco residents begin returning to northwest as flood waters recede

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Morocco residents begin returning to northwest as flood waters recede

RABAT: Moroccan authorities began organizing the gradual return of residents to the city of Ksar El Kebir ​and other flood-hit northwestern areas as weather conditions improved, state media showed on Monday.
Authorities backed by the army had helped evacuate 188,000 people since early February, to protect them from overflowing river waters that swept across 110,000 hectares in the northwest.
Most residents of Ksar El ‌Kebir, 213 ‌km north of Rabat, ​are now ‌allowed ⁠to ​return home, ⁠except for those living in a few neighborhoods, the interior ministry said on Monday.
Investment plan to upgrade infrastructure
Train and bus rides were offered free of charge to help transport residents who had sought shelter with relatives in other ⁠cities, or in centers and camps ‌provided by authorities, state ‌TV showed.
Morocco plans to spend ​3 billion dirhams ($330 million) ‌to upgrade infrastructure and support flood-affected residents, farmers ‌and shop-owners in the inundated areas, the prime minister’s office said last week, declaring the hardest-hit municipalities disaster areas.
The Oued Makhazine dam, which had reached 160 percent ‌of capacity, was forced to gradually release water downstream after exceptional inflows, leading to ⁠rising ⁠water levels in the Loukous river which inundated Ksar El Kebir and surrounding plains.
Rainfall this winter was 35 percent above the average recorded since the 1990s and three times higher than last year, official data showed.
Morocco’s national dam-filling rate rose to nearly 70 percent from 27 percent a year earlier, with several large dams being partially emptied to absorb new inflows.
The exceptional rainfall ended ​a seven-year drought ​that had pushed the country to ramp up investments in desalination.