Day 3 of carnage: 51 killed in Israeli airstrikes on Lebanon.

1 / 2
Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Khiam on September 25, 2024. (AFP)
2 / 2
Lebanese Health Minister Firas Abiad gestures as Turkish medical aid arrives at Beirut International airport, on Sept. 25, 2024. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 26 September 2024
Follow

Day 3 of carnage: 51 killed in Israeli airstrikes on Lebanon.

  • Bombings ‘claiming the lives of innocents,’ UNHCR says
  • Hezbollah escalates rocket attacks in ‘defense of Lebanon and its people’

BEIRUT: The Israeli Air Force continued its airstrikes on dozens of towns in southern Lebanon and the Bekaa region on Wednesday, the third day of its war against Hezbollah.

For the first time, the strikes reached deep into Lebanese territory, targeting the predominantly Christian area of Keserwan and the Druze-majority region of Chouf.

The bloody attacks resulted in dozens of civilian casualties and further destruction.

Health Minister Firass Abiad said at least 51 people were killed and 223 wounded in the attacks.

The UN High Commissioner for Refugees said: “The devastating bombings in Lebanon are claiming the lives of innocents and forcing thousands to flee,” adding that “the losses inflicted on civilians are unacceptable.”

The attacks have been intense over the past 24 hours, with Israeli planes attacking first southern areas then the Bekaa region. Many towns were shelled for the first time.

On Wednesday morning, Hezbollah escalated its rocket attacks on Israeli targets, introducing a new phrase in its official statements, replacing “in support for the Gaza Strip” with “in defense of Lebanon and its people.”

Hezbollah targeted the vicinity of Tel Aviv with a short-range ballistic missile, an action previously unrecorded in conflicts between Israel and Lebanon.

It also targeted Israeli military bases and army headquarters, demonstrating the effectiveness of its offensive weapons.

On Tuesday, the Israeli army counted more than 400 rockets fired by Hezbollah toward the Israeli side. It said the assault was “the highest rate of shelling since the escalation began on Oct. 8, 2023.”

On Wednesday, the army reported “detecting the launch of 40 rockets from Lebanon toward the Upper Galilee, with some intercepted, while a house in Safed was hit, causing a fire but no injuries.”

Municipal officials in Safed urged residents to stay near shelters, while the Israeli Home Front advised the remaining residents of Kiryat Shmona in the Upper Galilee to do the same.

An Israeli army spokesman said that “some rockets from Lebanon fell in the Carmel area and Wadi Ara south of Haifa, with others hitting Zikhron Ya’akov and Bat Shlomo, also south of Haifa, for the first time.”

Israeli media reported that three people were injured in the settlement of Sa’ar, near Nahariya, one of whom was said to be in a critical condition.

In an official statement, Hezbollah said: “The ballistic missile ‘Qader 1’ was aimed at a Mossad headquarters in the suburbs of Tel Aviv, which is responsible for assassinating Hezbollah leaders and blowing up pagers and walkie-talkies.”

The missile traveled more than 100 km, but the Israeli army intercepted it using the David’s Sling air defense system.

Israeli Channel 13 reported that the surface-to-surface missile launched from Lebanon was directed toward the Glilot base near Herzliya.

The army spokesperson said “the Israeli Air Force detected the surface-to-surface missile launch toward the greater Tel Aviv area this morning and after locating its launch platform in the area of Naffakhiyah in Tyre, it shelled it.”

The Israeli Northern Medical Center said Hezbollah’s attacks resulted in “12 people being lightly injured.”

Hezbollah said it targeted the Hatsor settlement and Dado base “with dozens of rockets.”

Later, Israeli Army Radio reported that about 100 targets in Lebanon were attacked in response to the assault on Tel Aviv.

Israel said its raids targeted Hezbollah artillery sites, which it alleged were situated within residential buildings.

Israeli military resumed shelling villages that had previously been targeted, including ones recently added to the target list in areas north of the Litani line, including the Nabatieh region, Iqlim Al-Tuffah, Zahrani and western, central and northern Bekaa.

For the first time, an Israeli airstrike targeted the town of Al-Maaysra located in the Keserwan District of Mount Lebanon.

The Lebanese Civil Defense reported an initial death toll of three individuals, with nine others injured.

Israel claimed the strike was aimed at Sheikh Mohammed Amr, a Hezbollah official in Mount Lebanon and the north. However, it was later revealed that he was not in the targeted residence, which belonged to his nephew.

The Ministry of Health said that four people were killed and seven injured during an Israeli operation in the mixed-sect town of Joun, located in the Chouf District, predominantly inhabited by Druze.

The raid targeted a three-story residential structure that housed both Lebanese and Syrian residents.

Israeli airstrikes targeted Civil Defense personnel from the Muslim Scout Association in the town of Burj El-Shemali while they were helping residents whose homes had been struck in an earlier attack on the area.

An airstrike targeting the border town of Bint Jbeil resulted in the deaths of three people, while strikes in the Baalbek-Hermel region killed four and injured 38.

Hezbollah mourned the death of three of its members: Abbas Ibrahim Sharaf Al-Din, Hussein Ahmad Awali and Mohammed Hussein Al-Rabbah.

Kamel Karky, a media photographer for Al-Manar TV, affiliated with Hezbollah, was killed in an Israeli airstrike that targeted his home in Qantara.

The Lebanese Red Cross issued repeated calls for blood donations following the depletion of the stocks that had been collected in recent days.

An intense airstrike was carried out by the Israeli military late on Tuesday night against a facility in the coastal town of Jiyeh, 28 km south of Beirut. The repercussions were felt in Beirut, resulting in significant destruction and causing debris and rocks to obstruct the Beirut-South highway for some time.

The Israeli army also conducted an airstrike near the oil facilities in Zahrani, south of Sidon, for the first time.

The Lebanese Ministry of Health reported that an “airstrike on the border town of Tebnine resulted in the deaths of two and injuries to 27 others.”

The Israeli army reiterated in leaflets its request to the residents of the Lebanese border villages who evacuated their homes not to return to them “for your safety due to the presence of weapons or Hezbollah elements, so do not return to your homes until further notice.”

Public education institutions in Beirut and its surrounding areas were transformed into shelters for displaced people, with official agencies estimating their number at about 40,000 since Monday.

There were many complaints regarding a severe shortage of blankets, bedding and other essential supplies.

Maj. Gen. Mohammed Khair, chief of the Lebanese High Relief Commission, said: “Our efforts are focused on meeting essential needs with the resources at our disposal.”

He appealed to “Arab and foreign countries, international organizations and expatriate businessmen to assist the displaced and provide aid to Lebanon during these challenging circumstances.”


UN’s development chief says living conditions in Gaza are worst he has ever seen

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

UN’s development chief says living conditions in Gaza are worst he has ever seen

  • Alexander De Croo urges Israeli authorities to allow more access for removal of debris, provision of temporary housing, and efforts to restart the private sector
  • 90 percent of territory’s population living amid rubble in ‘extremely painful’ and dangerous circumstances, he says after 3-day visit to Gaza

NEW YORK CITY: The head of the UN Development Programme said on Tuesday that living conditions in Gaza are the worst he has witnessed in his career, as he urged Israeli authorities to grant more access for the removal of debris, the provision of temporary housing, and private-sector recovery efforts.
Speaking in East Jerusalem after a three-day visit to Gaza, Alexander De Croo said 90 percent of the territory’s population was living amid rubble in “extremely painful” and dangerous circumstances.
“I have been minister of development for six years in the past; this is the worst living conditions that I have ever seen,” he said.
Teams from his agency are focusing their recovery efforts in Gaza on three main areas, he explained: the removal of rubble and other solid waste, temporary housing, and restarting parts of the private sector.
UNDP has removed about 5 percent of the rubble from the war-ravaged enclave so far, De Croo said, but at the current pace clearing it all will take seven years.
“90 percent of the people of Gaza today live in the middle of that rubble, which is extremely dangerous,” he warned, adding that unexploded ordnance and other health risks pose additional ongoing dangers to residents.
Regarding housing, he said most people were living in what he described as very rudimentary tents. UNDP has built 500 “recovery housing” units and has a further 4,000 ready to go, but he estimated that between 100,000 and 203,000 units were needed to provide even the most basic improvements to shelter.
“This is definitely not reconstruction,” he said. “But it’s an improvement on what is available for the moment.”
His agency’s third area of focus is restoration of the private sector, which he said has been “in hibernation.” It aims to help businesses resume operations and provide income for residents through limited investments and cash-for-work programs, including the processing of food.
The main request his agency is making to Israeli authorities is greater access for the delivery of materials and equipment, De Croo said, including heavy machinery for the removal of debris, and components for temporary housing.
“We understand the security concerns of the Israeli authorities,” he said. “But that would not be a reason to not provide organizations such as UNDP, other UN organizations and international (nongovernmental organizations) the more access that is definitely needed to be able to help more people.”
Asked about Israel’s objections to the deployment of large bulldozers and the provision of additional housing units, De Croo said discussions with Israeli officials often centered on “dual-use” concerns over materials that could potentially have military as well as civilian applications.
“We are in continuous discussions with the Israeli authorities on what are the right conditions to have more access,” he said, adding that UNDP takes steps to ensure all materials are used solely for humanitarian purposes.
He reiterated his call for expanded access to enable support for humanitarian and recovery efforts, and said such assistance is an obligation on every state.
“We really have only one ask: Please provide organizations such as UNDP and the others the necessary access to be able to provide the humanitarian and recovery support,” he added.