US urges citizens to leave Lebanon while commercial options available

Explosions occur during Israeli strikes targeting the Jabal Al-Rehan area in the southern Lebanese Jezzine district on September 21, 2024. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 22 September 2024
Follow

US urges citizens to leave Lebanon while commercial options available

WASHINGTON: The US State Department on Saturday urged Americans in Lebanon to leave the country while commercial options remain available, as the conflict between Israel and Hezbollah flares.
“Due to the unpredictable nature of ongoing conflict between Hezbollah and Israel and recent explosions throughout Lebanon, including Beirut, the US Embassy urges US citizens to depart Lebanon while commercial options still remain available,” the State Department said in an updated advisory.
“At this time, commercial flights are available, but at reduced capacity. If the security situation worsens, commercial options to depart may become unavailable,” it added.
In late July, the United States raised its travel advisory for Lebanon to its highest “do not travel” classification, after a strike on southern Beirut killed a top Hezbollah commander.
Israel on Friday struck southern Beirut again, saying this time it had killed the head of Hezbollah’s elite Radwan Force and several other commanders.
The Lebanese health ministry said 37 people were killed in the strike, which followed sabotage attacks earlier in the week on pagers and two-way radios used by Hezbollah, which killed dozens and wounded thousands.
Iran-backed Hezbollah has blamed Israel, which has not commented.
Hezbollah fighters have traded cross-border fire with Israel for nearly a year in stated support of Palestinian ally Hamas, whose October 7 attack on Israel triggered the ongoing war in Gaza.
But the exchanges have escalated in recent weeks, as Israel turns its attention to its northern border after significantly weakening Hamas.
The US State Department reiterated Saturday that Americans should “immediately” leave southern Lebanon, as well as areas near the Syrian border and refugee settlements.
 

 


Lebanon says army to take at least 4 months for next stage of Hezbollah disarmament plan

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Lebanon says army to take at least 4 months for next stage of Hezbollah disarmament plan

  • Lebanon’s government has committed to disarming Hezbollah, which was badly weakened in a recent war with Israel

BEIRUT, Lebanon: Lebanon’s government said Monday that the army will have a four-month extendable period to implement phase two of the military’s plan to disarm militant group Hezbollah in south Lebanon.
Lebanon’s government has committed to disarming Hezbollah, which was badly weakened in a recent war with Israel, and the military said last month it had completed the first phase of its plan, covering the area between the Litani River and the Israeli border about 30 kilometers (20 miles) further south.
Phase two covers an area north of the river.
Information Minister Paul Morcos told a press conference after a cabinet session that the government “took note of the army leadership’s presentation” on the second stage of the plan and that “there is a timeframe of four months, extendable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and hindrances on the ground.”