Egypt air defenses on maximum alert: media

Egyptian air force planes parade in Ismailia, Egypt. (Reuters/File)
Short Url
Updated 14 April 2024
Follow

Egypt air defenses on maximum alert: media

  • The Egyptian foregn ministry said it was “deeply concerned” by the events, and called for “maximum restraint” by all sides

CAIRO: Egypt’s air defenses were on “maximum alert” Sunday after Iran launched a drone and missile attack on Israel, a TV channel close to the intelligence services reported, as Cairo warned against an escalation of the conflict.
“A crisis cell ... is closely monitoring the situation and submitting reports to President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi hour by hour,” Al-Qahera News said late Saturday, citing a senior security official.
The Egyptian foregn ministry said it was “deeply concerned” by the events, and called for “maximum restraint” by all sides.
Warning of the risk of a “regional expansion of the conflict,” the ministry said in a statement that it was “in direct contact with all the parties to the conflict to try to contain the situation.”
Since the start of the Israel-Hamas war in October, Cairo has sought to walk a delicate tightrope between showing solidarity with the Palestinians while also maintaining its ties with Israel.
It has also hosted several rounds of negotiations seeking to agree a truce in the six-month war.


US withdrawing all forces from Syria, WSJ reports

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

US withdrawing all forces from Syria, WSJ reports

  • Report follows US militar withdrawal from ​a ‌strategic base in ‌Syria and handing it over to Syrian forces
The United States is in the process of withdrawing all of its roughly 1,000 ‌troops from ‌Syria, the Wall ​Street ‌Journal ⁠reported ​on Wednesday, ⁠citing three US officials.
Reuters could not immediately verify the report.
Last week, the US ⁠military said it ‌completed ‌a withdrawal from ​a ‌strategic base in ‌Syria, handing it over to Syrian forces, in the latest sign ‌of strengthening US-Syrian ties that could enable an ⁠even ⁠larger American drawdown.
The Journal said that troops will withdraw from the remaining US locations in Syria over the next two months.