Fear pervades West Bank hospital after deadly Israeli raid

Journalists film near a hospital bed with a blood-stained pillow with a visible bullet hole at the Ibn Sina hospital in Jenin in the occupied West Bank on January 30, 2024. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 17 February 2024
Follow

Fear pervades West Bank hospital after deadly Israeli raid

  • Only on closer inspection were bullet holes visible in the abandoned hospital bed and an adjacent chair where the young men had been shot

JENIN: A climate of fear pervades a hospital in the occupied West Bank city of Jenin, where patients and doctors are reeling from last month’s deadly raid by Israeli agents disguised as medics.
At the rehabilitation ward at Jenin’s Ibn Sina Hospital, two patients recalled hearing the screams of a nurse as Israeli forces reached the third floor.
“I opened the door and saw a man. I didn’t know they were special forces,” said a patient, a grey hoodie pulled up over his head to conceal his face. “The man was choking the nurse with his hand and hit her with the butt of his gun.”




A nurse shows the hole made by a bullet in a mattress at Ibn Sina hospital in Jenin in the occupied West Bank, on February 8, 2024. (AFP)

His account matched that of an elderly patient, who recalled hearing shouting while he stayed put in his room.
Neither knew that through a sky-blue door just meters away, the Israeli unit shot dead three Palestinians, all militants, including a paraplegic patient hospitalized for months. “It’s toughest at night,” said the patient, who had been shouted at by the undercover agents to shut his door during the assault. All but one person in the hospital spoke on condition of anonymity, as they were worried about their safety.

BACKGROUND

The World Health Organization said it was ‘appalled’ over the Israeli undercover operation.

Across the ward, room 376 had been scrubbed clean and lay empty.
Only on closer inspection were bullet holes visible in the abandoned hospital bed and an adjacent chair where the young men had been shot.
One of the staffers showed photos on his phone of a bullet, another of flesh left on the bed in the January 30 raid.
A medic said he was approached by a man dressed as a doctor, who spoke perfect Arabic and showed the ID pinned to his chest before asking him to unlock room 376.
Inside were militants Basel Ghazawi — unable to walk after being shot in October — his brother Muhammad Ghazawi and friend Muhammad Jalamnah.
The Israeli military justified the killing inside a medical facility, which are granted special protection under international law, by saying the trio were “terrorists” who were “hiding” in the hospital.

 


Libya brings in Western traders in blow to Russian fuel flows

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Libya brings in Western traders in blow to Russian fuel flows

  • The tenders will further reduce Russian product imports into Libya
  • Russian fuel exports to Libya have fallen to around 5,000 bpd in 2026 from 56,000 bpd in 2024–2025

LONDON: Global oil firms and traders including Vitol, Trafigura and TotalEnergies have won tenders to supply Libya with gasoline and diesel as the country grants large Western players wider access and reduces imports of Russian fuel, three trading sources told Reuters.
Libya is in the process of overhauling its oil sector 15 years after the fall of leader Muammar Qaddafi and years of civil wars.
The country produces some 1.4 million barrels a day of crude but lacks the infrastructure to refine it, leaving it reliant on fuel imports.
After issuing upstream licensing rounds for the first time in 20 years in an effort to grow crude output to 2 million bpd, Africa’s second-largest oil producer is now changing how it sells its oil ⁠and buys the ⁠fuel it requires.
Rather than swapping fuel imports for crude exports, it has instead awarded tenders to cover its fuel needs.
In the tenders in recent weeks, which have not previously been reported, Vitol won the rights to supply 5-10 gasoline cargoes a month and some diesel volumes, three traders familiar with the results said.
Trafigura and TotalEnergies also won the right to supply fuel, two of the three traders said. Reuters could not establish the exact volumes.
Vitol, Trafigura, and TotalEnergies declined to ⁠comment. Libya’s state-owned National Oil Corporation did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the tenders.

RUSSIAN IMPORTS DROPPING
The tenders will further reduce Russian product imports into Libya as Western firms source their volumes from refineries in the Mediterranean.
Russian fuel exports to Libya have fallen to around 5,000 bpd in 2026 from 56,000 bpd in 2024–2025, when it was the dominant supplier, according to live data from global analytics firm Kpler.
Italy has become Libya’s top fuel supplier this year with 59,000 bpd, mainly from the ISAB and Sarroch refineries run by Trafigura and Vitol, the Kpler data showed.
Moscow has relied heavily on Africa, Asia and South America for fuel sales after its refined products were banned from the West under sanctions linked to the war in Ukraine. The ⁠Kremlin has also seen ⁠its oil exports to India and Turkiye fall under US pressure, pushing more oil toward China.
Overall fuel exports into Libya from all sources have averaged around 186,000 bpd since the start of 2024.

FIRMS ALSO GAIN ACCESS TO CRUDE EXPORTS
Libya will also change the way it handles crude exports, the sources said.
Swiss-based trading firm BGN, previously a key exporter, will see crude liftings fall sharply, all three traders said, as big Western players will be allocated export rights.
Small Swiss-based trader Transmed Trading also picked up several crude cargoes in January and will keep lifting volumes in coming months, two of the three sources said.
Transmed and BGN did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Libya also signed a 25-year oil-development deal with TotalEnergies and ConocoPhillips in January, involving more than $20 billion in foreign-financed investment.