Paris: The family of Mahsa Amini, the Iranian Kurdish woman who died in custody, have been banned from traveling to France to collect a top rights prize awarded posthumously, their lawyer said Saturday.
Amini died aged 22 on September 16, 2022, while being held by Iran’s religious police for allegedly breaching the Islamic republic’s strict dress code for women.
Her family and supporters say she was killed. Iranian authorities claim she died in custody from a previously undisclosed medical condition.
In October, the European Union awarded its top rights honor, the Sakharov Prize, to her and the global movement her death triggered.
On Saturday her family’s lawyer in France, Chirinne Ardakani, told AFP that Amini’s parents and brother had been “prohibited from boarding the flight that was to take them to France for the presentation of the Sakharov Prize.”
She said the family had been banned from leaving Iran despite having a valid visa, and their passports had been confiscated.
Ardakani said Iranian authorities “have never been so mobilized to prevent the families of the victims from speaking to the international community.”
Mahsa Amini’s death triggered mass protests in Iran.
It also generated a global movement known as “Woman, Life, Freedom,” calling for the end of Iran’s imposition of a headscarf on all women and an end to the Muslim cleric-led government in Tehran.
Iranian security forces have cracked down on the protests domestically, killing hundreds, and have executed dozens for allegedly participating in what officials have called “riots.”
The “Woman, Life, Freedom” campaign continues in cities around the world, with frequent demonstrations in which Amini’s photo is held aloft.
The Sakharov Prize, which comes with a 50,000-euro ($53,000) endowment, was to be handed over in a European Parliament ceremony on December 13.
Mahsa Amini’s family blocked from leaving Iran for EU rights prize
https://arab.news/c8yvm
Mahsa Amini’s family blocked from leaving Iran for EU rights prize
- Amini died aged 22 while being held by Iran’s religious police for allegedly breaching the Islamic republic’s strict dress code
Head of Gaza technocrat committee in Washington for ‘Board of Peace’ meeting: Palestinian officials
- Shaath is scheduled to deliver a speech outlining the general framework of his plan for the first 100 days
- Around two dozen world leaders and senior officials have traveled to Washington for the meeting
GAZA CITY, Palestinian Territories: The head of the Palestinian technocratic committee formed to handle day-to-day governance of Gaza, Ali Shaath, was in Washington Thursday to attend the inaugural “Board of Peace” meeting, two Palestinian officials told AFP.
“Ali Shaath... arrived in Washington at dawn today to participate in the Washington meeting of the Board of Peace,” a source familiar with the committee told AFP.
“Shaath is scheduled to deliver a speech outlining the general framework of his plan for the first 100 days. He is accompanied by the committee’s official in charge of the finance portfolio,” the source added.
A committee member confirmed to AFP that Shaath had arrived “following an invitation he received yesterday to attend the Washington meeting.”
Around two dozen world leaders and senior officials have traveled to Washington for the meeting, which was set up after the Trump administration, along with Qatar and Egypt, negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of war in Gaza.
Around two dozen world leaders and senior officials have traveled to Washington for the inaugural meeting of the “Board of Peace,” which was set up after the Trump administration, along with Qatar and Egypt, negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of war in Gaza.
At Thursday’s meeting, Trump is expected to detail pledges of more than $5 billion for Gaza.
The meeting will also look at how to launch the International Stabilization Force that will ensure security in Gaza.










