New Zealand says 11 of its citizens have left Gaza for Egypt

Passengers fleeing from the Gaza Strip arrive in the Egyptian part of the Rafah border crossing with the Palestinian enclave on November 12, 2023, amid the ongoing battles between Israel and the militant group Hamas. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 13 November 2023
Follow

New Zealand says 11 of its citizens have left Gaza for Egypt

  • The Middle Eastern territory has been bombarded by Israeli forces since early last month in retaliation for an attack by Palestinian militant group Hamas

WELLINGTON: New Zealand’s government on Monday said 11 New Zealanders left Gaza overnight on Sunday and entered Egypt via the Rafah border crossing.
A Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) spokeswoman in an email said the people were met by a New Zealand consular team and provided with support.
The Middle Eastern territory has been bombarded by Israeli forces since early last month in retaliation for an attack by Palestinian militant group Hamas.
Gaza’s border authority announced that the Rafah land crossing into Egypt would reopen on Sunday for foreign passport holders after being closed on Friday.
The MFAT spokeswoman said New Zealand is working around the clock to get its remaining citizens and permanent residents out of Gaza.
New Zealand last week said it was working with 21 New Zealanders, family members and permanent residents to help them leave Gaza.

 

 


Serbia, Sweden urge citizens to quit Iran as Trump mulls strike

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Serbia, Sweden urge citizens to quit Iran as Trump mulls strike

  • Sweden’s Foreign Minister Maria Malmer Stenergard noted on X her “strong appeal addressed to Swedish citizens who are in Iran to leave”

BELGRADE: Serbia and Sweden have urged their citizens in Iran to leave the country after US President Donald Trump threatened military action over the Islamic republic’s nuclear program.
The Balkan nation had already invited Serbian nationals in mid-January to leave Iran and not to travel there, as the country’s clerical authorities launched a bloody crackdown on a mass protest movement.
“Due to the deteriorating security situation, citizens of the Republic of Serbia are not recommended to travel to Iran in the coming period,” the foreign ministry said in a statement on its website published overnight Friday to Saturday.
“All those who are in Iran are recommended to leave the country as soon as possible.”
Separately, Sweden’s Foreign Minister Maria Malmer Stenergard noted on X her “strong appeal addressed to Swedish citizens who are in Iran to leave.”
Iran said on Friday that it was hoping for a quick deal with the United States on Tehran’s nuclear program, long a source of discord between the two foes.
But Trump, after ordering a major naval build-up in the Middle East aimed at heaping pressure on Tehran, said on Friday that he was “considering” a limited military strike if the negotiations proved unfruitful.