Death toll from suicide blast in Bajaur rises to 54, 90 injured

People offer funeral prayers to the victims who died in a bomb blast in Bajaur district of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province on July 31, 2023. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 31 July 2023
Follow

Death toll from suicide blast in Bajaur rises to 54, 90 injured

  • Approximately 10-12 kgs of explosives were used in the blast, says senior police official
  • Police say identity of suicide bomber to be revealed ‘soon’ with forensic data analysis

PESHAWAR: The death toll from Sunday’s suicide blast in the northwestern Pakistani district of Bajaur has risen to 54, while 90 people were wounded in its wake, officials told Arab News on Monday.

Hundreds of supporters of the Jamiat Ulema Islam-Fazl (JUI-F) were meeting in Bajaur in a hall close to a market outside the district headquarters, where organizers added tents as many supporters showed up, and party volunteers with batons were helping control the crowd. Officials were announcing the arrival of Abdul Rasheed, a leader of the JUI-F party, when the bomb went off in one of Pakistan’s bloodiest attacks in recent years.

Provincial police said in a statement that the attack was carried out by a suicide bomber who detonated his explosives vest close to the stage where several senior leaders of the party were sitting. It said initial investigations suggested the Islamic State (Daesh) group — which operates in Afghanistan and is an enemy of the Afghan Taliban — could be behind the attack, and officers were still investigating.

“Fifty-four were killed in the suicide blast in Bajaur,” Shaukat Abbas, additional inspector-general of the Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) told media in Bajaur. He added that only 46 bodies have been identified so far.

“Approximately 10-12 kg of explosives were used in the suicide bomb blast,” Abbas said, adding that the police force was working on identifying the bomber, which he said would be “soon” revealed through forensic data analysis.




Security personnel examine the site of a bomb blast in Bajaur district of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province on July 31, 2023. (AFP)

“It is premature to confirm who carried out the attack but we have got an idea of the organization and those who operated the attack,” he said.

Meanwhile, Bajaur Police spokesperson Muhammad Israr told Arab News 90 people had been injured in the blast.

A police report of the incident was registered at the Malakand counter-terrorism department (CTD) police station as Bajaur doesn’t have a CTD police station where such cases are registered, according to Israr.




Security personnel walk past bomb blast victims at a hospital in Bajaur district of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province on July 31, 2023. (AFP)

The Bajur district near the Afghan border was once a stronghold of the Pakistani Taliban — a close ally of Afghanistan’s Taliban government — before the Pakistani army drove the militants out of the tribal districts in successive operations that began in late 2000s.

The Pakistani Taliban condemned the attack, while the Afghan Taliban spokesman, Zabiullah Mujahid, said on Twitter that “such crimes cannot be justified in any way.”

The bombing came hours before the arrival of Chinese Vice Premier He Lifeng in Islamabad, where he was to participate in an event to mark a decade of the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor, or CPEC, a sprawling package under which Beijing has invested billions of dollars in Pakistan.

In recent months, China has helped Pakistan avoid a default on sovereign payments. However, some Chinese nationals have also been targeted by militants in northwestern Pakistan and elsewhere.

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and President Arif Alvi condemned the attack and asked officials to provide all possible assistance to the wounded and the bereaved families. PM Sharif later telephoned JUI-F chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman and conveyed his condolences to him, assuring that those who orchestrated the attack would be punished.


Pakistan plans broader privatization push, eyes power utilities this year

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan plans broader privatization push, eyes power utilities this year

  • Considerably high losses, inefficiencies and mounting subsidies in power sector have dented Pakistan’s public finances
  • Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb says 26 state-owned entities have been handed over to Privatization Commission

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan is widening a sweeping privatization program following the sale of its national airline last year, with power distributors next in line and more state companies to be handed to the Privatization Commission, the finance minister said on Monday.

Pakistan’s government successfully divested a 75 percent stake in the Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) in December last year. The move was part of Islamabad’s broader privatization program, which aims to reduce fiscal losses inflicted by loss-making state-owned enterprises (SOEs) by either privatizing or restructuring them.

Pakistani officials have said the Privatization Commission plans to divest the country’s electricity distribution companies in two batches. The first phase will include the Islamabad Electric Supply Company, Gujranwala Electric Power Company and Faisalabad Electric Supply Company, followed by Hyderabad Electric Supply Company and Sukkur Electric Power Company in the second batch. Considerably high losses, inefficiencies and mounting subsidies in the power sector have dented Pakistan’s public finances over the years, making it a central focus of Islamabad’s reform agenda.

Speaking at a news conference about Pakistan’s privatization program, Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb said there are five power distribution companies to be privatized this year, out of which the sell-side advisers for three are Alvarez & Marsel. He said the Turkish Investment Bank has been entrusted with the task of being the sell-side advisers for the other two companies. 

“Overall, 26 SOEs have been handed over to the Privatization Commission,” Aurangzeb told reporters. “This decision is first made in the Cabinet Committee on SOEs, it then goes to the Cabinet Committee on Privatization, and then its overall approval is given by the prime minister and the cabinet.”

Aurangzeb vowed the government will take the privatization process forward with the same level of transparency as it had exhibited during the PIA sale last year. 

“And this will be taken forward with a lot of speed because we will not stop at 26 SOEs,” the finance minister said. “We will also gradually hand over other state institutions to the Privatization Commission,” he added. 

Speaking further about SOEs and their performances over the years, the minister said losses from the state entities decreased by about Rs74 billion [$264.6 million] over the last three years.

He said SOEs had reported losses of Rs905 billion [$3.24 billion] in 2023, Rs851 billion [$3.04 billion] in 2024 and Rs832 billion [$2.98 billion] in 2025.

Pakistan’s privatization push comes at the back of its efforts to ensure sustainable economic progress after a prolonged macroeconomic crisis that drained its foreign exchange reserves and triggered a balance of payments crisis.