Pakistan plans broader privatization push, eyes power utilities this year

Pakistan's Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb presents the Pakistan Economic Survey 2024-25 report during a media briefing in Islamabad June 9, 2025. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 16 February 2026
Follow

Pakistan plans broader privatization push, eyes power utilities this year

  • Considerably high losses, inefficiencies and mounting subsidies in power sector have dented Pakistan’s public finances
  • Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb says 26 state-owned entities have been handed over to Privatization Commission

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan is widening a sweeping privatization program following the sale of its national airline last year, with power distributors next in line and more state companies to be handed to the Privatization Commission, the finance minister said on Monday.

Pakistan’s government successfully divested a 75 percent stake in the Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) in December last year. The move was part of Islamabad’s broader privatization program, which aims to reduce fiscal losses inflicted by loss-making state-owned enterprises (SOEs) by either privatizing or restructuring them.

Pakistani officials have said the Privatization Commission plans to divest the country’s electricity distribution companies in two batches. The first phase will include the Islamabad Electric Supply Company, Gujranwala Electric Power Company and Faisalabad Electric Supply Company, followed by Hyderabad Electric Supply Company and Sukkur Electric Power Company in the second batch. Considerably high losses, inefficiencies and mounting subsidies in the power sector have dented Pakistan’s public finances over the years, making it a central focus of Islamabad’s reform agenda.

Speaking at a news conference about Pakistan’s privatization program, Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb said there are five power distribution companies to be privatized this year, out of which the sell-side advisers for three are Alvarez & Marsel. He said the Turkish Investment Bank has been entrusted with the task of being the sell-side advisers for the other two companies. 

“Overall, 26 SOEs have been handed over to the Privatization Commission,” Aurangzeb told reporters. “This decision is first made in the Cabinet Committee on SOEs, it then goes to the Cabinet Committee on Privatization, and then its overall approval is given by the prime minister and the cabinet.”

Aurangzeb vowed the government will take the privatization process forward with the same level of transparency as it had exhibited during the PIA sale last year. 

“And this will be taken forward with a lot of speed because we will not stop at 26 SOEs,” the finance minister said. “We will also gradually hand over other state institutions to the Privatization Commission,” he added. 

Speaking further about SOEs and their performances over the years, the minister said losses from the state entities decreased by about Rs74 billion [$264.6 million] over the last three years.

He said SOEs had reported losses of Rs905 billion [$3.24 billion] in 2023, Rs851 billion [$3.04 billion] in 2024 and Rs832 billion [$2.98 billion] in 2025.

Pakistan’s privatization push comes at the back of its efforts to ensure sustainable economic progress after a prolonged macroeconomic crisis that drained its foreign exchange reserves and triggered a balance of payments crisis. 


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”