ISLAMABAD: The evacuation of Pakistan nationals from war-torn Sudan would not have been possible without the help of Saudi Arabia, Islamabad’s envoy to Khartoum said on Monday as fighting continued between rival factions in the African and Arab country.
Thousands of foreign nationals have been evacuated from Sudan since clashes broke out in mid-April between the Sudanese army and paramilitary group Rapid Support Force. Since then, hundreds of people have been killed and thousands injured despite multiple cease-fires aimed at halting the fighting.
More than 1,000 Pakistan nationals were among those evacuated from Sudan, with Saudi Arabia having played a major role in the massive international rescue efforts.
“I don’t believe that the evacuation from Sudan would have been possible without the assistance of Saudi Arabia,” the Pakistani Ambassador to Sudan Meer Behrose Regi told Arab News on Monday.
“Without their help, it would have been impossible to transport people from Port Sudan to Jeddah.”
With the most intense fighting taking place in the capital Khartoum, many evacuees traveled to the relative safety of Port Sudan, from where many foreign nationals boarded Saudi ships to cross the Red Sea to Jeddah before flying back to their home countries.
“We extend our thanks to Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who facilitated all Pakistanis and other missions from Port Sudan to Jeddah, providing them with free, five-star hotel accommodation,” Regi said.
As fighting continued in Sudan, Pakistan’s mission has been operating out of Port Sudan in a makeshift office with limited personnel, the envoy said, as around 300 Pakistanis were still in the country.
Regi, who returned to Pakistan in early May along with other staff due to safety concerns in Sudan, noted that he would be rejoining his mission later this week.
“We are currently assisting three to four people (Pakistanis) daily who are coming to Port Sudan,” he added.
“Our embassy in Port Sudan is not closed, it remains open in a camp office and the staff are already in Port Sudan, working and facilitating all Pakistanis.”
Pakistani envoy lauds Saudi assistance in Sudan evacuations
https://arab.news/gxe8q
Pakistani envoy lauds Saudi assistance in Sudan evacuations
- More than 1,000 Pakistanis among foreign nationals evacuated from war-torn African country
- Evacuations from Port Sudan to Jeddah ‘impossible’ without Saudi help: Meer Behrose Regi
Jordanian king and British MPs in London discuss Middle Eastern developments
- King Abdullah is scheduled to meet UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer and is due to chair a new round of the Aqaba Process initiative
- He warned that Israel’s illegal actions in the occupied West Bank undermine efforts to restore calm
LONDON: King Abdullah II of Jordan met in London on Monday with former British officials and members of Parliament to discuss the latest developments in the region.
King Abdullah warned that Israel’s illegal actions in the occupied West Bank, which aim to consolidate settlements and impose sovereignty over Palestinian land, undermine efforts to restore calm and threaten to escalate the conflict, according to the Petra news agency.
Discussions also addressed the UK’s role in supporting efforts to restore stability within the region, alongside developments in Jerusalem, Gaza, Syria, and Iran.
Crown Prince Hussein accompanies the Jordanian king, who is scheduled to meet UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer and is due to chair a new round of the Aqaba Process initiative, launched in 2015, Petra added.










