Japan thanks Djibouti, US and France for helping to evacuate citizens

Evacuation was a success and Japan’s Self-Defense Force base in Djibouti played an important role in the operation
Short Url
Updated 27 April 2023
Follow

Japan thanks Djibouti, US and France for helping to evacuate citizens

TOKYO: State Minister Shunsuke Takei met with several dignitaries in Djibouti on Wednesday as part of his mission to oversee the evacuation of Japanese citizens from conflict-torn Sudan.

Takei met with Mohamed Ali Hassan, Djibouti’s secretary-general of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, as well as US Ambassador to Djibouti Jonathan Goodale Pratt and French Ambassador Dana Purcarescu.

In the meeting with Ali Hassan, Takei thanked Djibouti for helping to evacuate several Japanese individuals and families who had requested to leave as of April 24.

He said the evacuation was a success and noted that Japan’s Self-Defense Force base in Djibouti played an important role in the operation.

Takei also expressed hope that Djibouti’s President Ismail Omar Guelleh would use his influence to assist in mediating between the warring parties in Sudan, and ensure stability is restored in the Horn of Africa.

In his meeting with the American and French ambassadors, Takei expressed his gratitude to both countries for helping to evacuate Japanese citizens.

Takei said he would continue to work closely with like-minded countries and the international community to stabilize the situation and support the transition to civilian rule in Sudan.

This article originally appeared on Arab News Japan


Spanish govt seeks probe into X, Meta, TikTok over AI child porn

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Spanish govt seeks probe into X, Meta, TikTok over AI child porn

  • Socialist PM Pedro Sanchez announced on X that his government would request the public prosecutor’s office to investigate the three tech platforms for offenses “they may be committing by creating and spreading child pornography through their AI”

MADRID: Spain’s leftist government on Tuesday said it would ask prosecutors to investigate X, Meta and TikTok for possible offenses related to AI-generated child pornography, as an international backlash grows against such tools.
Separate probes in Britain, France, the European Union and California have been launched over sexualized deepfakes created by X’s AI chatbot Grok and amid a wider debate about regulating artificial intelligence.

BACKGROUND

Separate probes in Britain, France, the European Union and California have been launched over sexualized deepfakes created by X’s AI chatbot Grok and amid a wider debate about regulating artificial intelligence.

Socialist Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez announced on X that his government would request the public prosecutor’s office to investigate the three tech platforms for offenses “they may be committing by creating and spreading child pornography through their AI.”
“These platforms are harming the mental health, dignity and rights of our sons and daughters. The state cannot allow it. The impunity of (tech) giants must end,” Sanchez wrote.
One in five young people in Spain say they have been victim of fake nude images generated by AI while they were minors, with girls especially affected, Sanchez’s office said in a statement.
Sanchez is an outspoken critic of leading tech figures he calls “techno-oligarchs,” and has called for tighter regulation of their platforms to combat disinformation, violent content and pornography.
Earlier this month, he sparred with X owner Elon Musk and Telegram founder Pavel Durov after announcing a plan to ban social media for under-16s.