Attacks in Sudan’s Darfur bring new surge in people fleeing their homes

Aid workers fear a displacement crisis akin to the one triggered by the conflict in Darfur in the early 2000s. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 24 June 2022
Follow

Attacks in Sudan’s Darfur bring new surge in people fleeing their homes

KHARTOUM: Violence in western Sudan this month alone has displaced more than 84,000 people, doubling the number of those driven from their homes so far this year, according to UN reports.

The numbers are the highest since January 2021. Last year, at least 440,500 were displaced, five times more than in 2020, according to UN data.

Aid workers fear a displacement crisis akin to the one triggered by the conflict in Darfur in the early 2000s.

Violence escalated there after 2003 as Sudan’s government allied with so-called Janjaweed Arab militias moved to put down a rebellion by armed groups. At least 2.5 million people were displaced and 300,000 were killed.

A peacekeeping force mandated by a 2020 peace agreement has yet to be deployed widely. Finance Minister and armed group leader Jibril Ibrahim said raising money to implement the agreement has been difficult.

June violence includes fighting in the Kulbus locality in West Darfur, where 125 people were killed and 50,000 displaced when Arab militias attacked villages belonging to the Gimir tribe.

“Before we finish responding to one emergency or major attack, another two have already happened,” said Will Carter of Norwegian Refugee Council. “So far, nothing is averting this from becoming a new large-scale displacement emergency.”

In South Kordofan state, home to a separate long-term civil conflict, fighting this month between the Hawazma and Kenana tribes in Abu Jubayhah killed 19 and displaced 15,150 after more than 4,000 homes were burned, said UNOCHA.

In a statement on Wednesday, Human Rights Watch said Sudan’s transitional government and military rulers who seized power in October failed to provide adequate protection after the 2021 exit of international peace-keepers or to address underlying causes of the conflict, including land and resource disputes.

General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, whose Rapid Support Forces emerged out of some of the Arab militias and who is the deputy leader of Sudan’s ruling council, visited West Darfur this week, calling on fighting to stop and promising to donate health and schooling facilities.


Turkiye’s approval of peace roadmap is important step, PKK source says

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Turkiye’s approval of peace roadmap is important step, PKK source says

  • “The vote is considered an achievement and an important step toward consolidating democracy in Turkiye,” said the PKK source
  • There were foundations for resolving the Kurdish issue, but there was a lack of clarity on the issue in the report

BAGHDAD: A Turkish parliamentary commission’s approval of a report setting out a roadmap for legal reforms alongside the disbandment of the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) militant group is an important step and the beginning of a fundamental change in Turkish policy, a PKK source told Reuters on Thursday.
The commission voted overwhelmingly on Wednesday to approve the report, advancing a peace process designed to end decades of conflict.
“The vote is considered an achievement and an important step toward consolidating democracy in Turkiye,” said the PKK source.
The PKK — designated a terrorist ⁠organization by Turkiye, ⁠the United States and the European Union — halted attacks last year and said in May it had decided to disband and end its armed struggle.
The parliamentary vote shifts the peace process to the legislative theater, as President Tayyip Erdogan, Turkiye’s leader of more than two decades, bids to end a conflict focused on mainly Kurdish southeast Turkiye.
The insurgency began in 1984 and has killed more than 40,000 people, sowing deep discord at home and ⁠spreading violence across borders into Iraq and Syria.

IMPORTANT ISSUES OUTSTANDING
The PKK source said there were foundations for resolving the Kurdish issue, but there was a lack of clarity on the issue in the report.
“There also remain other important issues, such as initiating constitutional amendments, especially in aspects related to the Kurdish language as well as amendments to the anti-terrorism law,” the source said.
Another issue was legislation concerning the return of PKK militants to Turkiye and their integration into society, the source said.
A key element of Wednesday’s report recommended strengthening mechanisms to ensure compliance with decisions by the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) and the Constitutional Court.
Among key ECHR decisions related to Turkiye are rulings that the rights of ⁠jailed former pro-Kurdish ⁠party leader Selahattin Demirtas had been violated and that he should be released immediately.
Ankara’s final appeal against that was rejected in November.

SIGN OF INTENT
Demirtas’ lawyer Mahsuni Karaman told Reuters the report’s comments on the ECHR were important as a sign of intent.
“We hope this will be reflected in judicial practice— that is our wish and expectation,” Karaman said.
Demirtas was detained in November 2016 on terrorism-related charges, which he denies. In May 2024, a court convicted him in connection with deadly 2014 protests and sentenced him to more than 40 years in prison.
Turkish nationalist leader Devlet Bahceli, a key Erdogan ally whose call in 2024 triggered the current PKK peace process, said in November that it “would be beneficial” to release Demirtas from prison.
The opposition pro-Kurdish DEM Party — the successor party of Demirtas’ HDP — remains parliament’s third-largest bloc and has cooperated closely with the parliamentary commission.