Egypt to offer 5m locally made Sinovac doses by September: Health ministry

Egypt’s Health Minister Hala Zayed speaks during a news conference in Ismailia, Egypt, April 6, 2021. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 19 August 2021
Follow

Egypt to offer 5m locally made Sinovac doses by September: Health ministry

  • The health ministry aims to procure 80 million doses of the Sinovac vaccine in total by the end of 2021 in order to fully inoculate 40 million Egyptians
  • Safety testing of the Sinovac vaccine has been completed and a meeting scheduled to present a final report and approve the manufactured doses

CAIRO: Five million doses of the Sinovac vaccine manufactured domestically will be sent to Egyptian vaccination centers by Sept. 1, advisor to the health minister Dr. Noha Assem has said.

The health ministry earlier announced that it aimed to procure 80 million doses of the Sinovac vaccine in total by the end of 2021 in order to fully inoculate 40 million Egyptians.

Assem said in a televised statement that the average number of coronavirus infections in hospitals this week grew from last week, adding that a fourth wave of COVID-19 cases is expected in September.

She added that vaccine supplies ordered from abroad have begun to arrive and that the new government target is to vaccinate between 400,000 and 800,000 citizens per day. “That is why the number of vaccination centers has increased and huge preparations are underway,” she said.

Khaled Megahed, spokesman for the ministry, said that the doses of the locally manufactured Sinovac vaccine will be released by the Egyptian Holding Company for Biological Products and Vaccines within two to three days.

Megahed said that safety testing of the vaccine had been completed and a meeting was scheduled to present a final report and approve the manufactured doses.

He said that 1 million doses had already been produced, adding that initial results were “very promising.” There are sufficient manufacturing components to produce 14 million total doses domestically, he said.

Dr. Mohamed Abdel-Fattah, head of the central department of preventive affairs, said that Minister of Health Dr. Hala Zayed directed an increase in the number of vaccine centers to 657 and offices for vaccinating travelers to 145.

Zayed also issued instructions for the vaccination of university and school students.

Students are exempt from government vaccine registration and will instead receive jabs through universities, under the supervision of deans.

Egypt has obtained five types of vaccines — Sinopharm, Sinovac, Sputnik, AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson — and is now awaiting the arrival of 2 million doses of the Pfizer jab.


Israeli approval of West Bank land registration draws outrage

Updated 33 min 53 sec ago
Follow

Israeli approval of West Bank land registration draws outrage

  • Israel’s government has approved a process to register land in the West Bank, drawing condemnation

JERUSALEM: Israel’s government has approved a process to register land in the West Bank, drawing condemnation from Arab nations and critics who labelled it a “mega land grab” that would accelerate annexation of the Palestinian territory.
Israel’s foreign ministry said the measure would enable “transparent and thorough clarification of rights to resolve legal disputes” and was needed after unlawful land registration in areas controlled by the Palestinian Authority.
But Egypt, Qatar and Jordan criticized the move as illegal under international law.
In a statement, the Egyptian government called it a “dangerous escalation aimed at consolidating Israeli control over the occupied Palestinian territories.”
Qatar’s foreign ministry condemned the “decision to convert West Bank lands into so-called ‘state property’,” saying it would “deprive the Palestinian people of their rights.”
The Palestinian Authority called for international intervention to prevent the “de facto beginning of the annexation process and the undermining of the foundations of the Palestinian state.”
Israeli anti-settlement watchdog Peace Now called Sunday’s measure a “mega land grab.”
According to public broadcaster Kan, land registration will be reopened in the West Bank for the first time since 1967 — when Israel captured the territory in the Middle East war.
The Israeli media reported that the process will take place only in Area C, which constitutes some 60 percent of West Bank territory and is under Israeli security and administrative control.
Palestinians see the West Bank as foundational to any future Palestinian state, but many on Israel’s religious right want to take over the land.
Last week, Israel’s security cabinet approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over areas of the West Bank administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo accords in place since the 1990s.
Those measures, which also sparked international backlash, include allowing Jewish Israelis to buy West Bank land directly and allowing Israeli authorities to administer certain religious sites in areas under the Palestinian Authority’s control.
Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.
Around three million Palestinians live in the territory.