Al-Nassr sign Cameroonian forward Vincent Aboubakar from Besiktas

Vincent Aboubakar has joined Al-Nassr on free transfer from Besiktas. (Arriyadiyah)
Short Url
Updated 09 June 2021
Follow

Al-Nassr sign Cameroonian forward Vincent Aboubakar from Besiktas

  • 29-year-old inks 3-year contract having left Turkish club on free transfer

JEDDAH: Al-Nassr have signed Cameroonian striker Vincent Aboubakar on a free transfer from Turkish club Besiktas.

The 29-year-old footballer has inked a three-year contract with the club in the face of stiff competition for his signature from Saudi Pro League (SPL) rivals Al-Ittihad.

His transfer marks Al-Nassr’s second major deal of the summer following the signing of Brazilian player Anderson Talisca from Chinese Super League club Guangzhou.

The signings are part of an effort by Al-Nassr’s management to rebuild the squad after a disappointing season saw the team finish sixth in the SPL. Club sources said Aboubakar would receive a pay packet of around 6 million euros ($7.31 million) per season for his services.

Having started his career at Coton Sport in his native Cameroon, Aboubakar has since had stints at French clubs Valenciennes and Lorient, Porto in Portugal, and Besiktas. He has also scored 25 goals in 71 international matches for Cameroon.


Barca suffer title defense blow in Girona derby defeat

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Barca suffer title defense blow in Girona derby defeat

  • Girona ended the game with 10 men when Roca scythed down Yamal to cut short a desperate Barca attack deep in stoppage time

GIRONA, Spain: Spanish champions Barcelona fell to a damaging 2-1 defeat at Girona on Monday to leave them trailing Real Madrid by two points at the top of La Liga.
Los Blancos beat Real Sociedad on Saturday to overtake the Catalans and Hansi Flick’s side could not defeat Girona in an gripping derby clash to reclaim the lead.
Teenage star Lamine Yamal missed a penalty for Barcelona, who took the lead through defender Pau Cubarsi just before the hour mark.
However goals from Thomas Lemar and Fran Beltran helped Girona, 12th, mount an impressive comeback.
“We have to improve because they can’t score these two goals against us,” Cubarsi told DAZN.
“We have to be self-critical, we didn’t play a great game, we have to improve, but now we have to rest and charge our batteries.”
Both sides were attacking with abandon in the first half and it was remarkable they went in goalless at the break.
Raphinha whipped a shot narrowly wide and Yamal fired straight at Girona goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga when through on goal.
At the other end Ukrainian striker Vladyslav Vanat missed a slew of presentable opportunities.
Ferran Torres fired a good chance wide for Barca and Raphinha drove against the upright as Flick’s side pushed for the opener.
They should have got it when Dani Olmo was clumsily felled in the box by Daley Blind, but Yamal hit the post from the spot.
Barcelona eventually took the lead through Pau Cubarsi’s header from Jules Kounde’s cross after 59 minutes, but Girona swiftly pulled level.
Thomas Lemar slipped away from Eric Garcia and turned home Vanat’s pass from close range.
It shifted the momentum in Girona’s favor and Barca were left relying on some stunning saves from goalkeeper Joan Garcia to keep them afloat.
The stopper denied Ivan Martin and Vanat with a remarkable double save, and then thwarted Joel Roca with his leg.
Barca could not stem the tide and Girona forced their way in front after 87 minutes, with Fran Beltran stroking home from the edge of the area.
The visitors, who last week made an official complaint to the Spanish football federation over perceived refereeing inconsistencies, were left fuming after Kounde was fouled by Claudio Echeverri in the build-up and it went unpunished.
Girona ended the game with 10 men when Roca scythed down Yamal to cut short a desperate Barca attack deep in stoppage time.
It did the job and the hosts celebrated wildly at the end with their jubilant fans at Montilivi, as Flick demanded explanations from the referee.
“It seemed like a foul (on Kounde) to me, but we shouldn’t focus on decisions we can’t control,” said Barca defender Gerard Martin.