Egypt receives new 300k shipment of China’s Sinopharm vaccine

Egypt on Saturday, March 20, received a second shipment of coronavirus vaccine donated by China, officials said, as the country tries to speed up its vaccination campaign. (File/AP)
Short Url
Updated 20 March 2021
Follow

Egypt receives new 300k shipment of China’s Sinopharm vaccine

  • The Sinopharm vaccine produces antibodies in 99% of coronavirus cases, and is totally effective in eliminating infections in moderate and severe cases
  • Egypt is among dozens of nations depending on China to help rescue them from the COVID-19 pandemic

CAIRO: Egypt has received a further 300,000 doses of China’s Sinopharm vaccine as part of its anti-coronavirus campaign, Minister of Health Hala Zayed has said.
The shipment will undergo analysis by the Egyptian Drug Authorities (EDA) and will soon be used in the country’s rollout targeting medical workers, Egyptians with underlying health conditions and the elderly.
Eligible citizens are required to register online to take part in the rollout. Once given approval, they can visit one of the 40 designated health facilities located across the country to receive a vaccine.
The EDA previously granted the Sinopharm vaccine emergency approval.
The jab produces antibodies in 99 percent of coronavirus cases, and is totally effective in eliminating infections in moderate and severe cases.
In February, Egypt received its first major shipment of the Sinopharm vaccine.
Meanwhile, the Egyptian government has raised concerns that coronavirus case numbers could soon spike during the holy month of Ramadan.
Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly urged people to take “extra care and caution” ahead of the Ramadan season.

 


US imposes sanctions on commanders of Sudan’s Rapid Support Forces paramilitary group

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

US imposes sanctions on commanders of Sudan’s Rapid Support Forces paramilitary group

WASHINGTON: The United States on Thursday imposed sanctions on three commanders of the Sudan’s paramilitary Rapid Support Forces ​over their role in the 18-month siege and capture of Al-Fashir, accusing the group of carrying out systematic and widespread killings.
The US Treasury Department in a statement announcing the sanctions accused the RSF of perpetrating “a horrific campaign of ethnic killings, torture, starvation, and sexual violence” during the ‌siege and ‌capture of Al-Fashir.
Darfur’s Al-Fashir ​fell ‌to ⁠RSF ​forces in ⁠October 2025 after a long siege that led to mass killings.
The Treasury said that once the city was captured in October, RSF fighters accelerated systematic and widespread killings, detentions, and sexual violence, leaving no survivor, including civilians, unharmed. The Treasury ⁠accused the group of engaging in a ‌systematic campaign to ‌destroy evidence of mass killings by ​burying, burning and disposing ‌of tens of thousands of bodies.
More than 100,000 ‌were estimated to have fled Al-Fashir since late October after the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces took control there following an 18-month siege that plunged the city into ‌famine.
Survivors reported ethnically-motivated mass killings and widespread detentions during and after the ⁠takeover. Many people ⁠remain unaccounted for in Al-Fashir and surrounding areas.
“The United States calls on the Rapid Support Forces to commit to a humanitarian ceasefire immediately. We will not tolerate this ongoing campaign of terror and senseless killing in Sudan,” Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in the statement.
Among those targeted by the Treasury on Thursday were an RSF brigadier general the department said filmed himself ​killing unarmed civilians, as ​well as a major general and RSF field commander.