US general says Washington will help Saudi Arabia defend against ‘common threat of Iran’

Gen. Frank McKenzie said Iran remains the biggest destabilizing challenge in the Middle East. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 09 February 2021
Follow

US general says Washington will help Saudi Arabia defend against ‘common threat of Iran’

  • Central Command's Gen. Frank McKenzie says US has reached period of contested deterrence with Iran
  • Says Saudi Arabia and US share common threat of Iran

LONDON: The US will continue to help Saudi Arabia defend itself “efficiently and effectively” against the common threat of Iran, Washington’s military chief in the region said on Monday.

Gen. Frank McKenzie, the head of US Central Command (Centcom), said nothing had been said or done by Joe Biden’s new administration that would stop the US working with the Kingdom against Tehran’s destabilizing activities.

“Our focus there is going to be to do things that will help them (Saudi Arabia) defend themselves more effectively and efficiently,” Gen. McKenzie told the Middle East Institute. “There’s a common threat there and that common threat is Iran.”

Biden said last week that the US would continue to help Saudi Arabia defend its territory and people from Iranian attacks through its proxy forces, including the Houthi militants in Yemen.

“Over the last several weeks a number of attacks have been launched out of Yemen against Saudi Arabia,” Gen. McKenzie said. “We will help the Saudis defend against those attacks by giving them intelligence when we can.”

 

In his outline of the US military position in the Middle East and Afghanistan, Gen. McKenzie referred to a drone and missile attack on Saudi Arabia’s oil facilities in September 2019 that shook global energy markets. the attack was widely blamed on Iran.

He said the threat of a similar attack remained “very real.” 

“Anything we can do to assist the Saudis in getting better and more effective in defending against that attack is good for them and good for us as well,” Gen. McKenzie said.

Under the Donald Trump presidency, the US targeted Iran with a “maximum pressure” campaign after withdrawing from the 2015 nuclear deal.

His administration unleashed punishing sanctions and despatched military resources to the Gulf in a bid to deter Iran from ramping up its aggressive foreign policy in the region. In January 2020, the US assassinated the regime’s most powerful military figure, Qassem Soleimani, in an airstrike at Baghdad airport.

While tensions between the US and Iran remain high in the Arabian Gulf, Gen. McKenzie said Washington’s stance in the region had sent a signal “clearly received by the Iranian regime.”

“I believe our presence in the region, mostly defensive in nature, has brought us to a period of contested deterrence with Iran,” he said. “That presence sends a clear and unambiguous signal of our capability and will.”

In the online event, which included Gerald Feierstein, a former US ambassador to Yemen, Gen. McKenzie said Iran remained the most challenging driver of instability in the Middle East.

Along with Yemen, he referred to Iran’s influence in Syria and Iraq, which he said Tehran uses as a proxy battlefield.

He welcomed the move last month by Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Bahrain to repair ties with Qatar, saying a united GCC helped the US at a practical military level.

Soleimani’s shadow
Qassem Soleimani left a trail of death and destruction in his wake as head of Iran’s Quds Force … until his assassination on Jan. 3, 2020. Yet still, his legacy of murderous interference continues to haunt the region

Enter


Saudi intervention ends Socotra power crisis

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Saudi intervention ends Socotra power crisis

  • Sudden shutdown of the power plants after the operating company withdrew and disabled control systems
  • Saudi engineering and technical teams moved immediately after receiving an appeal from local authorities

ADEN: Electricity has returned to Yemen’s Socotra archipelago after urgent Saudi intervention ended days of outages that disrupted daily life and crippled vital institutions, including the general hospital, the university and the technical institute.

The breakthrough followed a sudden shutdown of the power plants after the operating company withdrew and disabled control systems, triggering widespread blackouts and deepening hardship for residents.

The Saudi Development and Reconstruction Program for Yemen said that its engineering and technical teams moved immediately after receiving an appeal from local authorities. Specialists were dispatched to reactivate operating systems that had been encrypted before the company left the island.

Generators were brought back online in stages, restoring electricity across most of the governorate within a short time.

The restart eased intense pressure on the grid, which had faced rising demand in recent weeks after a complete halt in generation.

Health and education facilities were among the worst affected. Some medical departments scaled back services, while parts of the education sector were partially suspended as classrooms and laboratories were left without power.

Socotra’s electricity authority said that the crisis began when the former operator installed shutdown timers and password protections on control systems, preventing local teams from restarting the stations. Officials noted that the archipelago faced a similar situation in 2018, which was resolved through official intervention.

Local sources said that the return of electricity quickly stabilized basic services. Water networks resumed regular operations, telecommunications improved, and commercial activity began to recover after a period of economic disruption linked to the outages.

In the health sector, stable power, combined with operational support, secured the functioning of Socotra General Hospital, the archipelago’s main medical facility.

Funding helped to provide fuel and medical supplies and support healthcare staff, strengthening the hospital’s ability to receive patients and reducing the need to transfer cases outside the governorate, a burden that had weighed heavily on residents.

Medical sources said that critical departments, including intensive care units and operating rooms, resumed normal operations after relying on limited emergency measures.

In education, classes and academic activities resumed at Socotra University and the technical institute after weeks of disruption.

A support initiative covered operational costs, including academic staff salaries and essential expenses, helping to curb absenteeism and restore the academic schedule.

Local authorities announced that studies at the technical institute would officially restart on Monday, a move seen as a sign of gradual stabilization in public services.

Observers say that sustained technical and operational support will be key to safeguarding electricity supply and preventing a repeat of the crisis in a region that depends almost entirely on power to run its vital sectors.