Imran Khan will not accept any ‘deal’ for release, sister says amid renewed speculation

Aleema Khanum (center), sister of jailed former Prime Minister of Pakistan and leader of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party Imran Khan, along with supporters, take part in a protest on a road leading to Adiala jail in Rawalpindi, Pakistan, on January 6, 2026. (REUTERS/File)
Short Url
Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

Imran Khan will not accept any ‘deal’ for release, sister says amid renewed speculation

  • Supporters “very impatient” as health dispute intensifies political tensions, Aleema Khan says
  • Government says family politicizing medical issues as party demands independent care

ISLAMABAD: Jailed former Pakistani prime minister Imran Khan will not accept any negotiated arrangement with authorities to secure his release, his sister Aleema Khanum said this week, rejecting renewed speculation of a possible political “deal” as tensions escalate between his party and the government over his health and imprisonment.

The question of a negotiated exit has resurfaced in Pakistan’s political debate in recent weeks following reports about Khan’s medical condition, protests by supporters and comments by government officials referring to past efforts to explore a settlement.

Khan, 73, has been in jail since August 2023 following convictions he and his Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party say are politically motivated. He was removed from office in a parliamentary vote of no confidence in April 2022, which he alleges was orchestrated by political rivals with backing from the military, accusations both the government and armed forces deny.

Amid the renewed speculation, Khanum rejected the idea her brother would agree to any compromise.

“His intention was never to do deals. He hates the… if anybody suggests to him, he gets very upset,” Khanum told Arab News during an interview at Khan’s Bani Gala residence on Tuesday. 

Quoting her brother, she said: “I’ll die in jail, but I will not bow my head.”

HEALTH DISPUTE

Political tensions have sharpened after a Supreme Court-appointed lawyer reported this month that Khan had suffered “severe vision loss” in his right eye due to central retinal vein occlusion (CRVO), leaving him with about 15 percent sight in the affected eye.

A team of government doctors examined Khan in prison on Sunday and said his condition was improving. Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi accused Khan’s party and family of “cashing in” on the issue.

Khanum disputed the government’s handling of the medical situation, saying her brother had complained of pressure in his eye for months and temporarily lost vision earlier this year.

“There’s no proper facility over there [Adiala Jail],” she said. “Even regular prisoners are taken to a hospital if they’re not well.”

She alleged authorities initially tried to administer a sensitive eye injection inside Adiala before transferring him to the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS), where the procedure was carried out.

Officials say they were willing to allow further examination at Shifa International Hospital but the family imposed conditions that delayed treatment. Khanum said the government “dismantled” arrangements by refusing to allow his personal physician Dr. Aasim Yusuf and a family member to witness examinations.

PTI Chairman Gohar Ali Khan has said he was satisfied after speaking to doctors who treated Khan, but Khanum insisted only his personal doctor should manage his care.

“Gohar is not a doctor. If you told me that I’ve treated somebody, you and I won’t understand either,” she said.

“Why do we go to doctors then?”

PRISON CONDITIONS AND PROTESTS

Khanum said her brother is held in an 8-by-10 foot cell with limited ventilation, though he spends time reading and exercising.

“He says he gets enough nutrition and exercise,” she said, adding summer heat makes conditions difficult.

The government says Khan, as a high-profile prisoner, is under constant monitoring and medical supervision.

Khan’s sons, Kasim and Sulaiman, who live in the United Kingdom, have applied for visas to visit him but have yet to receive approval, she said.

“They applied last July and again on Jan. 15,” she said. “It’s a visa they should get in one hour and they still haven’t given them.”

She said the two spoke to their father by phone last week but the call repeatedly dropped.

“He told them about his eye,” Khanum said. “He was disturbed.”


Brook says a ‘shame’ if Pakistan players snubbed for Hundred

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Brook says a ‘shame’ if Pakistan players snubbed for Hundred

  • The Hundred is England’s domestic white-ball cricket tournament featuring eight franchise teams
  • Media reports say Indian-owned franchises may overlook Pakistani players at next month’s auction

KANDY: England captain Harry Brook said Saturday that it would be “a shame” if Pakistani players were shut out of England’s domestic white-ball Hundred competition by Indian-owned franchises.

Former England skipper Michael Vaughan on Friday urged the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) to “act fast” on BBC reports that Pakistani players will be “overlooked” in the player auction next month.

Ahead of England’s opening Super Eights clash against Sri Lanka in Kandy on Sunday, Brook — who will play for Indian-owned Sunrisers Leeds in the Hundred this year — was asked about the issue.

“Our main focus now is what’s coming up in the T20 World Cup. It’s not really any of our business, to be honest,” said Brook.

“But what I would say is Pakistan have been a great cricket nation for many years.”

Long-standing political tensions between India and Pakistan have led to the border rivals only playing each other in international cricket events.

Their Colombo showdown at the ongoing T20 World Cup only went ahead after Pakistan called off a threatened boycott.

“I think there’s about 50, 60 players in the auction, and it would be a shame to not see some of them in there,” said Brook.

“There’s some amazing cricketers and, yeah, and they bring some great crowds as well.

“So it would be a shame to not see some of the Pakistan players in there and make the tournament and competition even better.”

The newly renamed Sunrisers Leeds is owned by Indian conglomerate Sun Group, one of four of the eight Hundred franchises with connections to the Indian Premier League.

The others are Manchester Super Giants, Southern Brave and MI London.

It has been claimed that politics has also led to an effective ban on Pakistani players participating in the Indian Premier League since 2009.

The ECB has been unable to substantiate the BBC allegations, but former England captain Vaughan called for the governing body to investigate the issue thoroughly.

Vaughan referred to the ECB’s stated aim of cricket becoming the most inclusive sport in the country.

“The ECB need to act fast on this... they own the league and this should not be allowed to happen... the most inclusive sport in the country is not one that allows this to happen,” Vaughan posted on X.

An ECB spokesman said: “The Hundred welcomes men’s and women’s players from all over the world and we would expect the eight teams to reflect that.”

Only two Pakistan internationals — Mohammad Amir and Imad Wasim — appeared in last year’s Hundred, the final edition before new investors became involved.