No health issues reported among Hajj pilgrims

1 / 3
Ministry of Health spokesman Mohammed Al-Abd Al-Ali briefs the media on the health aspect of the Hajj on Thursday in Makkah. (SPA)
2 / 3
Dr. Hussein Al-Sharif, Haj Undersecretary for the Ministry of Haj and Umrah, address the media during a joint press conference in Makkah on Thursday. (SPA)
3 / 3
Lt. Col. Talal Al-Shalhoub, security spokesman for the Ministry of Interior, fields question from the media during a joint press conference in Makkah on Thursday. (SPA)
Short Url
Updated 31 July 2020

No health issues reported among Hajj pilgrims

  • Ministry of Health spokesman said hospitals remain on high alert but so far there have been no cases of coronavirus or other contagious diseases

MAKKAH: There have been no health problems so far among pilgrims during Hajj, Ministry of Health spokesman Mohammed Al-Abd Al-Ali said on Thursday.

“It is reassuring … that no cases of coronavirus or any other diseases that affect public health have been reported,” he said during his daily Hajj briefing in Makkah.

He added that the health services are fully prepared and remain on high alert to respond to any problems that arise. There are 1,456 hospital beds available, including 272 for intensive care, 331 for isolation, and more than 200 in emergency departments.

Field teams of healthcare workers were on hand on Thursday, said Al-Ali, as pilgrims climbed Mount Arafat and then moved on to Muzdalifah. In addition to providing any treatment that was required, they also offered support for the preventive measures and precautions that have been implemented to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

Lt. Col. Talal Al-Shalhoub, security spokesman for the Ministry of Interior, said that the pilgrims were escorted safely to Mount Arafat to perform their rituals, and then to Muzdalifah. He added that security officers are supervising pilgrims to ensure that social distancing and other precautionary health measures are followed. In addition, he said, they have prevented a number of unauthorized individuals from gaining access to the holy sites.


Saudi Arabia records 27 more deaths from COVID-19

Updated 27 min 46 sec ago

Saudi Arabia records 27 more deaths from COVID-19

  • The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom has increased to 313,786
  • A total of 4,569 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far

LONDON: Saudi Arabia announced 27 more deaths from the coronavirus and 561 new cases of the disease on Wednesday.
Of the new cases, 75 were recorded in Makkah, 51 in Jeddah, 37 in Madinah, 34 in Riyadh and 29 in Dammam.
The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom increased to 313,786 after 1,102 more patients recovered from the virus.
A total of 4,569 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far.

Related