Commercial operation of Saudi-Iraq border crossing to start in October

The commercial operation of the Arar border crossing between Saudi Arabia and Iraq will begin on Oct.15 on a trial basis. (File/AFP)
Updated 12 September 2019
0

Commercial operation of Saudi-Iraq border crossing to start in October

  • Al-Shammari said that the opening of the crossing “will be a qualitative leap in strengthening Saudi-Iraqi relations”
  • The border had been closed since 1990 when relations between Saudi Arabia and Iraq deteriorated following Saddam Hussein’s invasion of Kuwait

RIYADH: The commercial operation of the Arar border crossing between Saudi Arabia and Iraq will begin on Oct.15 on a trial basis, the Kingdom’s ambassador to Iraq Abdul Aziz Al-Shammari said Thursday.
Al-Shammari and Iraq’s ambassador to the Kingdom Qahtan Al-Janabi inspected the border crossing which will also be used by Hajj and Umrah pilgrims throughout the year.
Al-Shammari said that the opening of the crossing “will be a qualitative leap in strengthening Saudi-Iraqi relations,” and will increase trade between the two countries.
The border had been closed since 1990 when relations between Saudi Arabia and Iraq deteriorated following Saddam Hussein’s invasion of Kuwait.
The Saudi town of Arar is 70 kilometers from the Iraqi border.


Condemnation of attacks on Saudi Aramco oil plants continue

Updated 17 September 2019
0

Condemnation of attacks on Saudi Aramco oil plants continue

  • Bahraini King calls Saudi leadership

RIYADH: Condemnations of Saturday’s attack on Saudi Aramco oil installations continued on Monday, as the US pointed out Iran as the likely culprit behind the drone strikes that have dramatically escalated tensions in the region and triggered a record leap in global oil prices.

King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman both received calls from the King Hamad bin Isa Al-Khalifa of Bahrain to condemn the attacks at Saudi oil facilities in Abqaiq and Khurais.

US Secretary of Defense Mark Esper called the crown prince, who is also the defense minister, to affirm his country's full support for the Kingdom.

British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said, “We will work with international partners to forge the widest and most effective response,” with a statement from his ministry saying the “UK remains committed to supporting the security of Saudi Arabia.”

India also slammed the attacks and reiterated the country’s “rejection of terrorism in all its forms and manifestations,” a foreign ministry spokesman said.

Official Spokesperson of the UN Secretary General Stephane Dujarric said in a statement that the Secretary General condemns Saturday's attacks on two Aramco oil plants.

The German Foreign Ministry spokeswoman said, “Such an attack on civilian and vital infrastructure in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is not justified”.

— with SPA