Erdogan suggests Turkey could look to Russia for jets

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 24 May 2023
Follow

Erdogan suggests Turkey could look to Russia for jets

  • Erdogan told reporters in Ankara, referring to Russia’s Sukhoi fighter jets

ANKARA: President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Friday suggested Turkey could look to Russia for an alternative after the US excluded Ankara from its F-35 fighter jet program.

Following Turkey’s controversial purchase of the Russian S-400 missile defense system, Washington discontinued Turkey’s involvement in the F-35 program.

“If the US continues with the same attitude on the F-35 issue, we will take care of ourselves. Will it be the Su-35? The F-35? Or the Su-57?” Erdogan told reporters in Ankara, referring to Russia’s Sukhoi fighter jets.

He indicated that the Turkish government was still in the early stages of considering its options.

“Beyond putting the Su-35, F-35 or Su-57 on the table, we are exploring what measures we can take for our defense industry, for our defense,” Erdogan said. Joint production and credit plans were conditions that would be sought, he said.

Turkey has repeatedly said that Ankara wants to become a producer of military hardware and not just a buyer from countries such as the US and Russia.

Erdogan’s comments came after meeting Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday on the margins of the MAKS international air show on the outskirts of Moscow, a showcase for Russia’s military and civilian aerospace industry.

Turkey had ordered over 100 F-35 jets and its defense industry had plowed significant investment into the jet’s development.

Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said earlier on Friday during a visit to Oslo that Turkey had spent $1.4 billion on the F-35 program.

“In the worst case scenario, President Donald Trump told Erdogan in Osaka during the G20 (summit in June) that they will pay this money back to Turkey. But we hope that we will not get to that stage,” Cavusoglu said.


Israel detains Al-Aqsa imam as PA warns of escalation during Ramadan

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Israel detains Al-Aqsa imam as PA warns of escalation during Ramadan

  • Israeli authorities have prohibited 250 people from entering Al-Aqsa Mosque since January
  • Knesset member Amit Halevi called for Jewish prayers at the site during Ramadan

LONDON: Israeli authorities detained Sheikh Mohammad Al-Abbasi, the imam of Al-Aqsa Mosque, from within the mosque’s courtyards as 222 settlers stormed the site on Monday.

The Palestinian Authority warned of an Israeli escalation at the Al-Aqsa compound in the walled city of occupied East Jerusalem, ahead of and during the fasting month of Ramadan, which starts this week.

The Jerusalem Governorate reported that Israeli authorities have prohibited 250 people from entering Al-Aqsa Mosque since January. This week, they prevented the Jerusalem Endowments Council from preparing for Ramadan by blocking the installation of umbrellas for sun and rain protection, and the setup of temporary clinics, according to Wafa news agency.

The governorate also condemned the visit of Israeli Knesset member Amit Halevi to Al-Aqsa Mosque on Sunday, accompanied by Israeli police. It said that Halevi’s incursion was part of a provocative tour with the “Temple Mount Administration,” amid rising Israeli calls to change the reality at Al-Aqsa Mosque and alter the historic status quo.

Halevi advocated continuing what he described as “Jewish prayers” at the site during the month of Ramadan, Wafa added.

The governorate also reported that Israeli forces issued a six-month ban on freed prisoner and Al-Aqsa Mosque guard Fadi Alyan from entering the mosque.