Pep Guardiola wants teams to walk off the pitch if players subject to racial abuse

Updated 29 March 2019

Pep Guardiola wants teams to walk off the pitch if players subject to racial abuse

  • City's Raheem Sterling just one of a number of England players subject to racial abuse during international in Montenegro.
  • Chelsea's Sarri also calls for tougher action in the face of racism from the stands.

LONDON: Pep Guardiola would consider taking his Manchester City players off the field in protest if any of his stars were the victims of racist abuse.
City star Raheem Sterling spoke out after he and a number of his England teammates were racially abused in an impressive 5-1 victory over Montenegro in Podgorica on Monday, calling for stadium bans.
Guardiola said society’s ills are to blame, but warned against the concerning rise of racist incidents at football games, including in England.
Sterling was also the subject of alleged racist abuse at Chelsea in December, while Arsenal striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang had a banana skin thrown at him in the North London derby against Tottenham in the same month.
“I think in Europe it is, not in football, getting worse,” said Guardiola when asked about the issue. “I am a human being and it’s not nice.
Asked if City would walk off, Guardiola said: “We could do that, yeah.”
Guardiola was backed up in his call for teams to walk off the pitch by Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri. The Italian wants a new rule allowing matches to be halted if players are racially abused.
Chelsea winger Callum Hudson-Odoi, like Sterling, was racially abused in Montenegro as well as during Chelsea’s Europa League match at Dynamo Kiev earlier in March.
And Sarri said: “”We need a rule I think, a rule for the Premier League, but for all the championships, for all of football. A rule that can permit us to stop the match.
“In every country there are some stupid people I think, so it’s a big problem,” he said.
“I think that we need to do something different, probably it’s right to stop the match for 10 minutes in the first situation.”


Maradona's doctor investigated for involuntary manslaughter

Updated 37 min 19 sec ago

Maradona's doctor investigated for involuntary manslaughter

  • Police raided Leopoldo Luque's surgery and home in search of possible evidence pointing to negligence
  • The probe was triggered by concerns raised by three of Maradona's daughters over the treatment he received

BUENOS AIRES: Diego Maradona's personal doctor was on Sunday being investigated for involuntary manslaughter four days after the Argentina legend suffered a fatal heart attack, prosecutors in San Isidro near Buenos Aires reported.
Police raided Leopoldo Luque's surgery and home in search of possible evidence pointing to negligence, according to television images.
The probe was triggered by concerns raised by three of Maradona's daughters Dalma, Giannina and Jana over the treatment he received for his heart condition at his home in Tigre, north of Buenos Aires, judicial sources said.
"Our investigations are ongoing, we are talking to witnesses including members of the family" of Maradona, a source close to the San Isidro inquiry said.
Luque, who declined to comment when contacted by AFP, had posted a photograph of himself with Maradona on the day the 60-year-old left hospital on November 12, eight days after surgery to remove a blood clot on his brain.
Maradona returned home to Tigre where he received round the clock medical care. He died of a heart attack on Wednesday, and was buried on Thursday at the Jardin de Paz cemetery on the outskirts of the Argentine capital.