KSA supports peaceful settlement of disputes between Pakistan and India: FO

1 / 2
Adel Al Jubeir, Saudi Minister of State for Foreign Affairs called on Prime Minister Imran Khan on 7 February 2019 in Islamabad. (PID)
2 / 2
Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi, right, with Saudi Minister of State, Adel Al Jubeir at the Noor Khan at the foreign office, Islamabad on March 07, 2019. (PID)
Updated 08 March 2019
Follow

KSA supports peaceful settlement of disputes between Pakistan and India: FO

  • Al-Jubeir's visit signals Saudi Arabia's unflinching support for Pakistan, FO Spokesperson said.
  • Saudi Arabia’s leadership has been quite proactive in defusing tension between India and Pakistan, analyst says

ISLAMABAD: The recent visit of Saudi State Minister for Foreign Affairs Adel Al-Jubeir to Islamabad conveys the message that “the Kingdom cares for Pakistan,” Dr. Mohammad Faisal, spokesperson for Pakistan’s Foreign Office, told Arab News on Friday.

According the spokesperson this gesture signals Saudi Arabia's unflinching support for Pakistan amid ongoing tensions between nuclear armed South Asian neighbors Pakistan and India.

Al-Jubeir has assured "Kingdom's support to seek peaceful settlement of all outstanding disputes between Pakistan and India," the Foreign Office said in a statement issued at the end of his day-long visit on Thursday.  

He conveyed "sincere wishes of Saudi Crown Prince to the leadership and people of Pakistan" and "expressed deep appreciation for Pakistan's restraint in the existing charged environment," the statement read.

Al-Jubeir visited Islamabad for talks following last week’s standoff between India and Pakistan and met with the country's civil and military leadership.

The visting Saudi dignitary also met with Pakistan's Chief of Army Staff Gen. Qamar Javed Bajwa and discussed “matters of mutual interest, regional security and current situation between Pakistan and India,” according to an official statement issued by the Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) late Thursday. 

“The visiting dignitary appreciated Pakistan’s positive role for regional peace and stability and reaffirmed KSA’s support to Pakistan,” the statement read.

Gen Bajwa thanked the Saudi minister “for taking on the mantle of peace effort in very difficult circumstances, saying that KSA has always been a true friend of Pakistan,” the official hand out read.

Former Pakistani diplomat Rizwan Ul Haq Mahmood said the visit of Saudi dignitary was part of the continuous dialogue and consultations between the leadership of the two countries.

“Saudi Arabia’s leadership has been quite proactive in defusing tension between India and Pakistan,” Mamood added “Pakistan has full faith in the efforts of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and hopefully Al Jubeir’s visit brings about desired results and normalcy will be restored on our eastern borders.”

Earlier Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi while welcoming Al-Jubeir expressed gratitude for the Kingdom’s “steadfast support,” and the offer from Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to “help resolve” the crisis when the two nuclear-armed nations had appeared to be on the brink of war.

The suicide attack on February 14 in the Pulwama district of Indian-administered Kashmir, which killed more than 40 Indian paramilitary troops, led India to claim that the attack was orchestrated by Pakistan-based militant outfit Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) and subsequently conducting an airstrike on Pakistani soil allegedly targeting a JeM training camp. Pakistan reacted by shooting down two Indian jets the very next day and capturing an Indian pilot

PM Khan helped defuse the crisis by releasing Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman to India on March 1, even though the country’s armed forces remained on high alert.

This week, Islamabad announced that its High Commissioner to India, Sohail Mahmood, would return to New Delhi and that a delegation would visit India on March 14 to discuss draft agreements for the Kartarpur visa-free Corridor for Sikh pilgrims visiting sites in Pakistan.

This has widely been viewed as a further demonstration of PM Khan’s intent to avoid further conflict, and his confidence in the backing of the international community.

Al-Jubeir’s visit comes just weeks after the conclusion of the crown prince’s trip to the region, which began with a two-day visit to Pakistan in February, where he held talks with Khan, before flying to India for discussions with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”