Arab coalition ‘taking necessary measures to secure Bab Al-Mandeb’

In this file photo taken on February 08, 2017, a member of the pro-government forces raises his weapon in the port of the western Yemeni coastal town of Mokha as the Saudi-backed troops advance in a bid to try to drive the Houthi rebels away from the Red Sea coast. (AFP)
Updated 02 August 2018
Follow

Arab coalition ‘taking necessary measures to secure Bab Al-Mandeb’

  • Al-Maliki said the Houthis hostile approach could cause an environmental and economic disaster
  • He stressed that the measures taken by the alliance are in line with international law

JEDDAH: The Arab coalition fighting in Yemen said the alliance, in coordination with the international community, has taken all necessary measures to ensure the freedom of navigation and international trade through the Bab Al-Mandeb Strait.
Coalition spokesman Colonel Al-Maliki said the alliance had assessed all the attacks committed by the Iran-backed Houthi militia in the strait and the southern part of the Red Sea
Last week the militia targeted two Saudi oil tankers off the Yemen coast, prompting the Kingdom to suspend oil shipments through the passage. Bab Al-Mandeb, which marks the entrance to the Red Sea, is one of the world’s most important supply routes.
Al-Maliki said the Houthis hostile approach could cause an environmental and economic disaster that would harm the interests of countries in the region and around the world.
He said the Arab coalition would continue its efforts to coordinate with the international community to preserve regional and international security and global stability.
He stressed that the measures taken by the alliance are in line with international law.
The Houthis have repeatedly targeted ships off the Yemen coast since the war started. The conflict was sparked after the Houthis seized the capital Sanaa in 2014 and attempted to seize large sections of the country.


Saudi volunteers pack aid as KSrelief steps up help for Gaza

Updated 12 sec ago
Follow

Saudi volunteers pack aid as KSrelief steps up help for Gaza

  • Packages include rice, oil, canned goods, dairy products, shelter kits, and will be delivered through Rafah crossing
  • Reported death toll of Israel’s war in Gaza has surpassed 70,000, with more than 171,000 people injured

RIYADH: The Saudi aid agency KSrelief has been preparing food baskets and shelter kits to help Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.

Shalhoub bin Abdullah Al-Shalhoub, KSrelief’s director of media and public relations, called the initiative a “community-driven effort.”

Al-Shalhoub added: "There has been a popular campaign to support the Palestinian people, and this has given us the opportunity to launch the initiative to allow volunteers to help prepare the food baskets.”

Each food basket contains 7 kg of basmati rice, two bags of halva, 10 cans of tuna, 16 cans of fava beans, two large bottles of cooking oil, 1 kg of salt, 3 kg of sugar, 15 cans of evaporated milk, 1 kg of peanut butter, and a stock of cheese.

Al-Shalhoub told Arab News: “As you can see behind me, it is a beautiful sight. Seeing these young men and women here fills us with pride. You can truly sense their enthusiasm and commitment to this humanitarian work.”

KSrelief opened its volunteer portal three days ago to register participants for preparing food baskets at the agency’s warehouse. More than 80,000 people have already registered, according to Al-Shalhoub.

Anyone can sign up, choose a campaign or specialization, and volunteer.

Al-Shalhoub said: “We say to the Saudi people: You are naturally inclined toward goodness and charitable work. What we see today is one of the most inspiring humanitarian scenes embodied in this image behind me.”

The food basket and shelter kit initiative follows others led by KSrelief since the Gaza conflict began in October 2023.

Al-Shalhoub said that 80 aircraft, eight ships, and 20 ambulances had been deployed to the Gaza Strip to help the situation there.

This support is continuing across three main sectors: food security, health and medical assistance, and Ramadan programs and seasonal campaigns.

Al-Shalhoub said: “During this period (Ramadan), we are also collecting donations as part of the Palestine Campaign, which has received a high level of contributions.”

All aid will enter the Gaza Strip through the Rafah crossing. Israel reopened Gaza’s Rafah border with Egypt in early February — the only exit point for Palestinians not controlled by Israel — to limited traffic after nearly two years of closure.

The World Health Organization, the Food and Agriculture Organization, the UN Children’s Fund, and the World Food Programme reported in August 2025 that half a million people in Gaza were trapped in famine, and called for an immediate ceasefire in the conflict and “unhindered” humanitarian access.

International pressure is today focused on increasing daily truck capacity and restoring fuel access. Aid continues but remains inconsistent due to numerous missions being denied or impeded by Israeli authorities.

The reported death toll of Israel’s war in Gaza has surpassed 70,000, with more than 171,000 people injured, according to recent reports.

The World Peace Foundation reported in August 2025 that deaths from starvation and health-related causes had “without doubt” exceeded 10,000.

Those interested in volunteering for the Palestine Campaign can register through KSrelief’s Saudi international volunteer portal: volunteer.ksrelief.org/en.