Gaza City: Gaza’s Islamist rulers Hamas have offered to pay $3,000 to the family of any Palestinian killed by Israeli troops along the border, ahead of new expected protests.
In a statement, the group said it would support the “family of each martyr” with $3,000, while those seriously wounded would receive $500.
The payments were being provided “in light of the difficult economic conditions experienced by our people in the Gaza Strip as a result of the continued Israeli siege.”
A protest by tens of thousands near the Gaza border last Friday led to clashes in which Israeli forces killed 18 Palestinians.
Another mass protest is expected on Friday.
Israel has faced calls for an independent investigation from the European Union and United Nations chief Antonio Guterres over last week’s violence.
It has rejected the calls, saying Israeli soldiers opened fire when necessary to prevent attacks, attempts to damage the fence and infiltrations.
Palestinians say protesters were fired on while posing no threat to soldiers.
Hamas is considered a terrorist organization by Israel, the United States and the European Union.
UN officials and rights groups say the blockade amounts to collective punishment of the two million residents.
Hamas offers $3,000 for families of those killed by Israel
Hamas offers $3,000 for families of those killed by Israel
- $3,000 will go to families of the deceased and those seriously wounded will get $500
- 18 Palestinians were killed last week when protesters clashed with Israeli forces
Lebanon says army to take at least 4 months for next stage of Hezbollah disarmament plan
- Lebanon’s government has committed to disarming Hezbollah, which was badly weakened in a recent war with Israel
BEIRUT, Lebanon: Lebanon’s government said Monday that the army will have a four-month extendable period to implement phase two of the military’s plan to disarm militant group Hezbollah in south Lebanon.
Lebanon’s government has committed to disarming Hezbollah, which was badly weakened in a recent war with Israel, and the military said last month it had completed the first phase of its plan, covering the area between the Litani River and the Israeli border about 30 kilometers (20 miles) further south.
Phase two covers an area north of the river.
Information Minister Paul Morcos told a press conference after a cabinet session that the government “took note of the army leadership’s presentation” on the second stage of the plan and that “there is a timeframe of four months, extendable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and hindrances on the ground.”









