Australian museum recovers Egyptian artifacts after break-in

1 / 2
This handout image released by Queensland Police on February 16, 2026 shows a recovered Egyptian artefact on display in the Queensland town of Caboolture. (AFP)
2 / 2
This handout image released by Queensland Police on February 16, 2026 shows a recovered Egyptian artefact on display in the Queensland town of Caboolture. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 16 February 2026
Follow

Australian museum recovers Egyptian artifacts after break-in

  • The suspect told police that he believed the museum had links to the Catholic Church, the prosecutor was quoted as telling the court

SYDNEY: Australian police have recovered a trove of stolen Egyptian artifacts and charged a 52-year-old man with a nighttime smash-and-grab at a museum.
The man was accused of breaking a window and making off with the priceless treasures in the early hours of Friday from the Abbey Museum of Art and Archaeology in the Queensland town of Caboolture.

SPEEDREAD

Police said they found all the stolen goods — except for a wooden cat sculpture — with only minor damage. They arrested the suspect.

Police said they found all the stolen goods — except for a wooden cat sculpture — with only minor damage when they searched a car the following day at a ferry terminal south of the museum. They arrested the suspect on the same evening.
“Police will allege the man was found in possession of the last missing artifact, the wooden cat sculpture,” they said.
The man, named by local media as Miguel Simon Mungarrieta Monsalve, was charged with various counts, including breaking and entering, and three counts of wilful damage.
In court on Monday, a prosecutor said the man stole a mummy mask, a collar, a piece of jewelry and the wooden cat while also causing “irreparable damage” to other items, according to public broadcaster ABC.
The suspect told police that he believed the museum had links to the Catholic Church, the prosecutor was quoted as telling the court. The museum said it was “relieved and grateful” to get the artifacts back, but they could not go back on display immediately.
“Each piece must first undergo professional assessment and conservation to protect its long-term future.”

 


Thousands in Kosovo march against war crimes trials on 18th anniversary of independence declaration

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Thousands in Kosovo march against war crimes trials on 18th anniversary of independence declaration

  • Protesters, many wrapped in red and black Albanian flags, braved cold and snowy weather in the capital, Pristina, to voice their opposition to the proceedings in The Hague
  • PM Albin Kurti added that ‘the KLA-led war was pure, liberation (struggle) and an anti-colonial war ... a just struggle of an occupied and oppressed people under apartheid’
PRISTINA, Kosovo: An air of defiance marked Kosovo’s independence celebrations on Tuesday as thousands of people joined a march in support of former fighters who are facing trial at a Netherlands-based court for alleged war crimes during a 1998-1999 separatist war from Serbia.
Protesters, many wrapped in red and black Albanian flags, braved cold and snowy weather in the capital, Pristina, to voice their opposition to the proceedings in The Hague against former president and rebel leader Hashim Thaci and three others accused of atrocities during and after the conflict that killed some 13,000 people.
Earlier on Tuesday, Kosovo’s security forces paraded in Pristina as part of the independence ceremonies, and Parliament held a special session.
The war started in 1998 when the rebel Kosovo Liberation Army launched its struggle for independence and Serbia responded with a brutal crackdown. The war ended after NATO bombed Serbia for 78 days in 1999, eventually forcing it to pull out its troops from the territory.
Serbia still does not recognize the 2008 declaration of independence of Kosovo and this has been a source of persistent tension in the volatile Balkan region. As both Kosovo and Serbia seek European Union membership, they have been told they must normalize ties before joining.
Prosecutors at the Kosovo Specialist Chambers in The Hague — which formally is part of Kosovo’s judicial system although seated abroad — have asked for a maximum 45-year prison sentence for Thaci and the other defendants. Thaci also faces a separate trial on charges of intimidating witnesses that will begin later this month.
Officials and protesters in Kosovo have criticized the proceedings as political and designed to strike a false balance with Serbia whose political and military leaders previously had been tried and convicted of war crimes in Kosovo by a separate UN court.
Protesters at Tuesday’s march held banners reading “History cannot be rewritten” and “Freedom for the liberators.” They arranged metal fences around a landmark independence monument and placed a sign reading ”Kosovo in Prison” on top of it.
President Vjosa Osmani said in a statement that “truth cannot be changed by attempts to rewrite history or to tarnish and devalue the struggle of Kosovo’s people for freedom.”
Prime Minister Albin Kurti added that “the KLA-led war was pure, liberation (struggle) and an anti-colonial war ... a just struggle of an occupied and oppressed people under apartheid.”
In Belgrade, a Serbian government liaison office for Kosovo described the independence declaration 18 years ago as a “flagrant violation of international law.” The statement alleged “systematic terror” and persecution against minority Serbs in Kosovo.
The United States and most EU countries are among more than 100 nations that have recognized Kosovo’s independence while Russia and China have backed Serbia’s claim on the territory.
Thaci resigned from office in 2020 to defend himself against the 10 charges of crimes against humanity and war crimes.
The court and an associated prosecutor’s office were created after a 2011 report by the Council of Europe, a human rights body, following allegations that KLA fighters trafficked human organs taken from prisoners and killed Serbs and fellow ethnic Albanians. The organ harvesting allegations haven’t been included in indictments issued by the court.