Adidas apologizes after backlash over Boston Marathon ‘survivor’ e-mail

Geoffrey Kirui of Kenya crosses the finish line to win the men’s division of the 121st Boston Marathon in Boston, Massachusetts, US, April 17, 2017. (Reuters)
Updated 19 April 2017

Adidas apologizes after backlash over Boston Marathon ‘survivor’ e-mail

DUBAI: German sportswear giant Adidas has apologized after facing social media backlash over an e-mail it sent out on Tuesday congratulating runners in the Boston Marathon for having “survived” the race.
Many online slammed the company on its choice of words as memories of the deadly 2013 marathon bombing remain fresh in people’s minds.
“Congrats, you survived the Boston Marathon!” Adidas said in the subject line of an e-mail it sent to the 26,492 participants who finished the annual race Monday.
Social media users were quick to criticize the e-mail.
“Poor choice of words for the Boston marathon,” one Twitter user said.

Another tweeted: “@adidas you may want to rethink the subject line.”

The official Twitter account of Adidas North America, with the handle @adidasUS, rushed to apologize.
“We are incredibly sorry. Clearly, there was no thought given to the insensitive e-mail subject line we sent Tuesday,” it tweeted.
“We deeply apologize for our mistake.”

On April 15, 2013, two brothers of Chechen descent, Tamerlan and Dzokhar Tsarnaev, planted pressure-cooker bombs near the Boston Marathon finish line, killing three people and injuring 264 others.
The Boston Marathon is the world’s oldest annual marathon and one of the most prestigious races over the distance of just over 42 kilometers on the athletics calendar.


English Premier League to restart on June 17

Updated 28 May 2020

English Premier League to restart on June 17

  • No matches have been played since Leicester’s 4-0 win over Aston Villa on March 9

LONDON: The Premier League season is set to restart on June 17, three months after it was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic, British media reported on Thursday.

No matches have been played since Leicester's 4-0 win over Aston Villa on March 9, with Liverpool just two wins away from securing the title.

Top-flight clubs voted unanimously on Wednesday to return to contact training and were meeting again on Thursday to discuss issues such as the restart date and the rebate to broadcasters.

Matches would have to be played behind closed doors, much like they have been in Germany's Bundesliga since it restarted earlier in May.

The BBC reported that the first two matches would be Aston Villa v Sheffield United and Manchester City v Arsenal. Those matches are the two games in hand.

A full fixture list would then be played on the weekend of June 19-21.

So far, 12 people have tested positive for coronavirus after 2,752 tests across the Premier League.

La Liga in Spain hopes to return from June 11, while a crucial summit between Italian football officials and the country's sports minister will be held later on Thursday.

Liverpool were 25 points clear of 2019 champions Manchester City when the Premier league was shut down, on the verge of being crowned English champions for the first time in 30 years.

Bournemouth, Aston Villa and Norwich City are in the relegation places.

The BBC will for the first time air free-of-charge Premier League soccer games live when the season restarts next month, the broadcaster said on Thursday.

"This opportunity creates an historic moment for the BBC and our audiences. At a time when sports fans across the country are in need of lift, this is very welcome news," Barbara Slater, director of BBC Sport, said.