France arrests seven over far-right activist’s killing

Several suspects have been identified in an investigation into the death of a French far-right activist, including some linked to the "ultra-left movement", a source following the case told AFP on Tuesday. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

France arrests seven over far-right activist’s killing

  • The incident has fueled tension between France’s far right and hard left ahead of municipal elections in March
  • Lyon prosecutor Thierry Dran announced the arrests of four suspects, then shortly afterwards that of three other men

LYON, France: French authorities on Tuesday arrested seven suspects over the killing last week of a far-right activist, including an assistant to a hard-left member of parliament, a prosecutor and an informed source said.
Quentin Deranque, 23, died after sustaining a severe brain injury when he was attacked by at least six people last week on the sidelines of a far-right protest against a left-wing politician speaking at a university in the southeastern city of Lyon.
The incident has fueled tension between France’s far right and hard left ahead of municipal elections in March and the 2027 presidential race, in which the far-right National Rally (RN) party is seen as having its best chance yet of winning the top job.
Lyon prosecutor Thierry Dran announced the arrests of four suspects, then shortly afterwards that of three other men.
A source following the case, speaking on condition of anonymity, said an assistant to Raphael Arnault, a member of parliament from the hard-left France Unbowed (LFI) party, was among the first four detained.
Arnault reacted by saying he was firing the assistant.
The head of the LFI, Jean-Luc Melenchon said that those who had attacked Deranque had “dishonored” themselves by acting lethally.
“When it comes to violence, whether it be defensive or offensive... not all blows are allowed,” he said.
An anti-immigration collective called Nemesis, which claims to fight violence against Western women, said Deranque had been at the protest in Lyon to protect its members.
Nemesis has blamed the killing on La Jeune Garde (Young Guard), an anti-fascist youth group co-founded by Arnault before he was elected to parliament.
La Jeune Garde — which was dissolved in June — has denied any links to the “tragic events,” while Arnault has called the killing horrific.
On Monday, parliament speaker Yael Braun-Pivet said one of Arnault’s assistants had been banned from the chamber after being mentioned by witnesses.

- Placing blame -

Thursday’s attack has been described as “a pitched battle between members of the far left and the far right,” according to another source close to the probe.
A video broadcast by TF1 television of the alleged attack shows a dozen people hitting three others lying on the ground, two of whom manage to escape.
A witness told AFP “people were hitting each other with iron bars.”
Lawmakers held a minute of silence Tuesday afternoon at France’s National Assembly in memory of Deranque, while a march is expected to be held in Lyon next Saturday in his honor.
While the government has singled out the LFI and La Jeune Garde, the Lyon prosecutor on Monday declined to comment on those claims, only specifying the incident was being investigated as a voluntary homicide and aggravated assault.
On the far right, the presidential hopeful from the RN, three-time contender Marine Le Pen, has condemned the “barbarians responsible for this lynching.”
Her lieutenant, Jordan Bardella, who heads her party, said after the arrests that the LFI’s Melenchon had “moral and political responsibility” for what happened, claiming he had “opened the doors of the National Assembly to suspected murderers.”
Opinion polls put the far right in the lead for the presidency in 2027, when centrist President Emmanuel Macron will have to step down after the maximum two consecutive terms in office.


North Macedonia police arrest man accused of planning mass murder

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

North Macedonia police arrest man accused of planning mass murder

  • Police said the suspect was inspired by the notorious Sandy Hook school massacre in December 2012
  • Police tracked the message to the village of Mala Recica, west of the capital Skopje

SKOPJE: A 20-year-old man was arrested in North Macedonia suspected of planning a mass murder, authorities said on Friday, after being tipped off by US intelligence.
Police said the suspect was inspired by the notorious Sandy Hook school massacre in December 2012, when a 20-year-old man killed 26 people including 20 children at a school in Connecticut.
FBI investigators spotted threats on the social app Discord in late January and informed the US embassy in Skopje which contacted the local authorities, police said in a statement.
“The suspect sent a serious threat that he was ready to carry out an attack with a firearm — an AK-47 automatic rifle... while saying that he had impaired mental health,” it said.
Police tracked the message to the village of Mala Recica, west of the capital Skopje, and arrested two people.
The police said the suspect was charged with terrorism, while another, aged 89, was charged with weapons and explosives offenses. Media reported that the second suspect was the young man’s grandfather.
During searches officers seized various firearms, state prosecutors said in a statement.
The police said the weapons included an AK-47, two handguns and hundreds of pieces of ammunition plus body armor, knives and electronics.
The prosecutors’ office said the suspect was remanded in custody for a month.