Lebanon says 4 dead in strike as Israel says targeted Palestinian group

An Israeli Air Force fighter jet flying over the border area with south Lebanon. (AFP file photo)
Short Url
Updated 15 February 2026
Follow

Lebanon says 4 dead in strike as Israel says targeted Palestinian group

  • More than 370 people have been killed by Israeli fire in Lebanon since the ceasefire, according to an AFP tally of health ministry reports
  • As part of the Lebanese government’s push to disarm non-state groups, some Palestinian factions in Lebanon handed over weapons in several refugee camps last year to the Lebanese authorities

BEIRUT, Lebanon: Lebanon said an Israeli strike on Sunday near the Syrian border in the country’s east killed four people, as Israel said it had targeted operatives from Palestinian militant group Islamic Jihad.
Despite a November 2024 truce that sought to end more than a year of hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah, Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon, usually saying it is targeting the Iran-backed group but occasionally also targeting its Palestinian ally Hamas.
It appeared to be the first strike Israel has claimed in Lebanon against Islamic Jihad, which is also allied with Hezbollah, since the truce.
An Israeli drone “targeted a car on the Lebanese-Syrian border,” the state-run National News Agency said, adding that “four bodies” were inside the vehicle.
Lebanon’s health ministry confirmed the toll in a statement.
The Israeli military in a statement said it “struck Palestinian Islamic Jihad terrorists in the Majdal Anjar area.”
Fighters from Islamic Jihad were among those killed in Lebanon during hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah, which erupted in October 2023 over the Gaza war.
The Palestinian group and Hamas both claimed some attacks and infiltration attempts from Lebanon during the hostilities.
More than 370 people have been killed by Israeli fire in Lebanon since the ceasefire, according to an AFP tally of health ministry reports.
In line with the 2024 truce, the Lebanese army announced in January that it had completed the first phase of a government plan to disarm Hezbollah, covering the area near the Israeli border.
As part of the Lebanese government’s push to disarm non-state groups, some Palestinian factions in Lebanon handed over weapons in several refugee camps last year to the Lebanese authorities.
Hamas and its Islamic Jihad ally have not announced plans to disarm in Lebanon.
 

 


Germany moves troops out of Iraq, citing Mideast ‘tensions’

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Germany moves troops out of Iraq, citing Mideast ‘tensions’

BERLIN: Germany’s military has “temporarily” moved some troops out of Irbil in northern Iraq because of “escalating tensions in the Middle East,” a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.
Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Irbil, capital of Iraq’s autonomous Kurdistan region.
“Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Irbil remain on site,” the spokesman said.
The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.
German troops are deployed to Irbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.
The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Irbil was “closely coordinated with our multinational partners.”