A look back on dramatic end to Saudi Pro League transfer window

Karim Benzema, right, is greeted by Ruben Neves, on arrival, at Al-Hilal, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, Feb. 3, 2026. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 04 February 2026
Follow

A look back on dramatic end to Saudi Pro League transfer window

  • Benzema’s move to Al-Hilal triggered a domino effect across the SPL
  • Cristiano Ronaldo’s future at Al-Nassr under the spotlight

RIYADH: One would have been forgiven for thinking this was the quietest transfer window of the Saudi Pro League since the arrival of Cristiano Ronaldo in early 2023.

Most of the signings before the final 48 hours were minor reinforcements, with the most expensive transfer being Murad Al-Hawsawi’s move from Al-Khaleej to Al-Hilal. By the end of the transfer window, 40 new transfers had been completed across the league, representing 45 percent of the window’s transfers.

The seeds were sown on Jan. 26, when Al-Nassr announced the signing of Hayder Abdulkareem from Al-Zawraa in the Iraqi Stars League to bolster the midfield. Out went Wesley on loan to Real Sociedad, to free up space for the young Iraqi.

Three days later, L’Equipe reported that Karim Benzema’s time at Al-Ittihad was nearing an end after a contract proposal from Saudi Pro League director Michael Emenalo was deemed a significant step down. 

“This offer, considered insulting, was taken as a sign of disrespect by the player’s entourage, as it would amount to ‘playing for free,’ they explained, in addition to his image rights,” wrote Hugo Guillemet.

This led to the Frenchman withdrawing from the matchday squad ahead of Al-Ittihad’s clash with Al-Najma, further fueling uncertainty over his future in the Kingdom as deadline day on Feb. 2 approached. Less than 48 hours before the window closed, rumors emerged of Al-Hilal looking to swoop for Benzema.

Al-Ittihad, accepting that Benzema’s departure was imminent, prepared to offload N’Golo Kante to Fenerbahce in exchange for Moroccan striker Youssef En-Nesyri as a replacement.

However, the biggest development did not come from either Al-Ittihad or Al-Hilal. Fabrizio Romano reported that Ronaldo would not feature in the squad for Al-Nassr’s match against Al-Riyadh. “His absence is not related to any physical issue nor to workload or fitness management,” Romano tweeted.

It later emerged that the Al-Nassr captain was unhappy with his club’s activity during the transfer window: Al-Nassr had only added Abdulkareem to the squad in January.

By contrast, Al-Hilal brought in Pablo Mari, Rayan Al-Dossary, Sultan Mandash, Murad Al-Hawsawi and announced the signing of Mohamed Kader Meite from Rennes — while also pursuing Karim Benzema.

While some fans sympathized with Ronaldo’s concerns over the contrast between the two windows, Paul Williams, co-founding editor of The Asian Game platform and a freelance journalist who has covered Asian football for more than 15 years, held a different view.

“I’m not even sure his concerns are valid,” Williams told Arab News. “Let’s not forget just 12 months ago they made one of the biggest signings in the new SPL era in Jhon Duran, and then promptly shipped him off on loan six months later. When you factor in Ronaldo getting his way in terms of management of the club, his own new mega deal and his reported part-ownership of the club, then there’s no shortage of investment in Al-Nassr.”

With reports emerging that Ronaldo was frustrated with how the Public Investment Fund were handling matters related to Al-Nassr, Williams believes responsibility lies elsewhere.

“Perhaps the anger should be directed at the mismanagement of the club, rather than at the PIF who have gone out of their way to help Al-Nassr have success,” he said.

Indeed, Al-Hilal would go on to complete the signing of Benzema and welcome Saimon Bouabre from NEOM, taking their winter transfer activity to seven players at a reported cost of $83.56 million, according to Transfermarkt.

Al-Nassr, meanwhile, loaned Haroune Camara back to Al-Shabab and brought in Al-Hilal’s backup striker Abdullah Al-Hamdan as cover. For Ronaldo, it appeared to be insufficient.

Portuguese outlet Record reported on Feb. 2: “Cristiano Ronaldo is unhappy with the treatment Al-Nassr has received from the Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund, the state body that acquired the majority stake in the country’s four main clubs in 2023: Al-Nassr, Al-Hilal, Al-Ittihad and Al-Ahli.”

It added: “The Al-Nassr captain feels that the PIF is hindering signings at Al-Nassr to prevent the team from winning the title.”

Further reports claimed Ronaldo did not attend Al-Nassr training sessions and had traveled back to Portugal. While Record suggested “the striker is unhappy at Al-Nassr and could leave  the club in June,” Pedro Sousa, executive director of Correio da Manha Radio, said earlier on Wednesday: “Cristiano Ronaldo did not miss any training sessions. FIFA is burying its head in the sand and allowing an illegality.”

That illegality related to developments at Al-Ittihad. After paperwork was not completed in time via FIFA’s TMS system, the swap deal between Fenerbahce and Al-Ittihad failed to go through.

Fenerbahce later released an official statement on X, stating: “However, due to the erroneous entry of the relevant TMS information by the opposing club, the procedures could not be completed within the transfer registration period independently of our club.”

The statement added: “Accordingly, an extension was requested, the necessary discussions were conducted with FIFA by our club, and all steps have been taken to resolve the process.”

That situation was ultimately resolved after the deadline, with both Al-Ittihad and Fenerbahce receiving approval after deadline day concluded, fueling more discussion between fans and further frustration for Ronaldo, whose availability for Al-Nassr’s clash with Al-Ittihad on Feb. 6 is still uncertain.

While much of the drama unfolded off the pitch, there remains plenty at stake on it. Just four points separate Al-Hilal at the summit of the Saudi Pro League and Al-Qadsiah in fourth place.

“The impact on the title race we don’t yet know, but on face value it would appear to be significant,” said Williams. “Al-Hilal lacked a consistent goalscorer since Aleksandar Mitrovic departed the club. The punt on Darwin Nunez hasn’t paid off, and it appeared Marcos Leonardo was going to be out the door.”

Al-Nassr remain just one point behind Al-Hilal, with 15 matches still to play this season. But with Ronaldo’s future up in the air, what could this mean for the future of Saudi football?

“I don’t think the league is doomed, although there is no doubt its metrics will go down after he leaves, that’s only natural,” Williams said.

“But I think the league is a lot more established now on its journey, we’ve got dozens of names, both old and young, that are now flocking to Saudi Arabia because they see the value in it.”


Australia, Ireland out of T20 World Cup as Zimbabwe qualify after washout

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Australia, Ireland out of T20 World Cup as Zimbabwe qualify after washout

  • Zimbabwe will move on to face the West Indies, India and South Africa in the next phase
  • Zimbabwe captain Skiander Raza hails side’s achievement, but warns of tougher battles

KANDY, Sri Lanka: The 2021 champions Australia were knocked out of the T20 World Cup on Tuesday, with Zimbabwe qualifying for the Super Eights after their match against Ireland was washed out without a ball being bowled in Kandy.

Zimbabwe joined Sri Lanka as qualifiers from Group B and will move on to face the West Indies, India and South Africa in the next phase. Ireland were also eliminated.

Persistent drizzle all day at the Pallekelle stadium kept the covers on and the umpires finally called it off at 5:30 p.m. local time (1200 GMT) with no prospect of beginning the minimum five-over match before the 6:10 p.m. cut-off time.

Australia, who had been beaten by Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe, needed an Ireland victory to keep their hopes alive.

Zimbabwe are now on an unassailable five points with a game to still to come, while Ireland are third on three points.

Australia, on two points, have one game remaining against Oman on Friday, but cannot overtake Zimbabwe.

Australia had a shambolic build-up to the tournament

They lost leading pace bowlers Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood to injury, while captain Mitchell Marsh missed the first two games after being hit in the groin in training and suffering testicular bleeding

Test great Steve Smith was left out despite being in terrific form top of the order in the Big Bash League and his expertise in playing against spin bowling.

COLOURFUL FANS

He flew in as cover last week and was formally added to the Australia squad at the weekend.

But then he was left out for the must-win game against Sri Lanka on Monday which saw an Australia middle-order collapse as they lost by eight wickets.

Zimbabwe captain Skiander Raza hailed his side’s achievement in reaching the last eight, but warned there were tougher battles to come.

“We have come this far. We will celebrate but we have a game against Sri Lanka to come,” said Raza.

“This is only a tick in the box and this is not the only thing that we set out for. Everyone loves an underdog story.”

Ireland skipper Lorcan Tucker was downcast after his side did not get to play.

“Obviously very disappointed to go out in this fashion, but completely uncontrollable,” said Tucker.

“Our batting failed. There were big moments in the tournament particularly against Sri Lanka when we dropped so many catches.

“Hopefully, we will handle these tough situations differently moving forward.”

The rain did not dampen the spirits of a hearty and colorful band of about two dozen Zimbabwe fans, who danced and sang throughout the damp afternoon to serenade their team’s qualification.

“I can tell you, whichever corner they’re sitting at, at any ground, they’ll be the loudest, and they have the songs,” said Raza of the fans.

“They just keep the vibe. They keep lifting us up when their energies are down — and in this weather, it can be sometimes.

“But when we hear them to push us on and we know the songs as well, it gives us that energy as well.”