US intensifies airstrikes in Somalia

A Somali security officer holds position on their open truck near Syl Hotel, the scene of an Al-Qaeda-linked Al-Shabab group's attack in Mogadishu, Somalia. (Reuters/File)
Short Url
Updated 28 January 2026
Follow

US intensifies airstrikes in Somalia

  • The US has long been involved in the Horn of Africa country and has been targeting Al-Shabab and Daesh militants since the mid-2000s

ABUJA: The US has picked up the pace of its airstrikes against Al-Shabab and Daesh in Somalia this year, according to US Africa Command data.

The US has long been involved in the Horn of Africa country and has been targeting Al-Shabab and Daesh militants since the mid-2000s after the former first emerged.

Since Jan. 1, the US has conducted 23 strikes in Somalia, Africom spokeswoman Major Mahalia Frost said.

The “uptick” since the New Year, Frost said, is related to a broader US push against Daesh-linked militants on the continent, which included Christmas Day strikes in Nigeria.

In the last year, “we’ve gotten a lot more aggressive and (are) working with partners to target, kinetically, the threats, mainly Daesh,” Africom Lt. Gen. John Brennan said last week on the sidelines of a US-Nigeria security meeting in the Nigerian capital.

Following the Nigeria strikes on what Washington and Abuja said were targets linked to Daesh in Sahel province, the Pentagon has pledged increased intelligence sharing with their Nigerian counterparts.

“From Somalia to Nigeria, the problem set is connected.

So we’re trying to take it apart and then provide partners with the information they need,” Brennan said.

“It’s been about more enabling partners and then providing them equipment and capabilities with less restrictions so that they can be more successful.”

Frost added that 23 bombardments in Somalia this year “also includes strikes against Al-Shabab.”

President Donald Trump sharply escalated US strikes in Somalia during his first term, ordering 219 strikes and ground operations over four years — compared to 48 by Barack Obama in eight years.


X briefly hit by 'international outages': monitors

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

X briefly hit by 'international outages': monitors

  • The breakdown was "not related to country-level internet disruptions or filtering," Netblocks said
  • Spokespeople for X did not respond to request for comment on the outage before service was restored

Service was restored to Elon Musk-owned social network X Monday afternoon after it had failed to show posts to users in many countries.

The site was displaying content, allowing users to post and otherwise functioning normally again around 1530 GMT, after the Down Detector tracking website reported a spike in outage reports around two hours before.

X had appeared to be suffering "international outages," connectivity monitor Netblocks posted on the open-source social network Mastodon during the disruption.

The breakdown was "not related to country-level internet disruptions or filtering", added Netblocks, which regularly flags technical issues with popular online services and sites as well as interference by national governments.

Its most recent posts about similar outages for X came on February 9, the day after the Super Bowl in the US, and February 1.

AFP journalists in countries including France and Thailand had also been unable to access X on Monday afternoon.

Spokespeople for X did not respond to AFP's request for comment on the outage before service was restored.

Musk laid off thousands of people at the former Twitter and changed its name after buying the service in 2022.

He has since merged it with his xAI company, which develops the Grok chatbot.

xAI is set to in turn be absorbed by Musk's rocket firm SpaceX, with that merged entity expected to go public as early as summer this year.