Ruben Amorim rues bad luck, Bruno Fernandes injured in United loss at Villa

Manchester United’s Bruno Fernandes remonstrates to referee Michael Oliver during the Premier League game against Aston Villa at Villa Park. (Action Images via Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 21 December 2025
Follow

Ruben Amorim rues bad luck, Bruno Fernandes injured in United loss at Villa

  • Morgan Rogers scored two excellent goals for Villa
  • United boss was forced to re-shuffle his midfield after Fernandes knock

BIRMINGHAM: Manchester United manager Ruben Amorim was left cursing his side’s misfortune after a 2-1 Premier League defeat by Aston Villa on Sunday was compounded ​by the loss of his captain Bruno Fernandes to what looked like a hamstring injury.

Morgan Rogers scored two excellent goals for Villa, but the United boss was forced to re-shuffle his midfield after Fernandes was forced off at halftime.

“I think we were the better team today. We were unlucky, even with the ‌injury of ‌Bruno, but during the game even ‌without ⁠him ​we ‌were the better team,” Amorim said.

“We did a very good job that no one is going to remember tomorrow, because what matters is the result.”

The 40-year-old coach said Fernandes seemed to have suffered a soft-tissue injury and that there was no prognosis as to when he might ⁠return. Shea Lacey and Jack Fletcher, son of former United player Darren, ‌were given their debuts.

“We need to ‍prepare all the guys ‍that we have for the next game, we cannot ‍use anything as an excuse. No one is going to remember these problems, so let’s cope with that. It will make us stronger,” Amorim said.

United defender Diogo Dalot was blunt ​in his assessment of what the loss of Fernandes would mean for his side, who ⁠are seventh in the table on 26 points, 10 behind third-placed Villa.

“It’s massive. We don’t know how bad it is, but for him to come off, we know how tough he is. Hopefully, it’s not too bad and we keep with him for the next games,” he said.

“This is the time that opportunities come for other players, and the time you step up and show you deserve to be in the team and play more ‌minutes,” he added. “We are Manchester United, and we have to find a way to win.”


UK Athletics admits corporate manslaughter in death of UAE Paralympian Abdullah Hayayei

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

UK Athletics admits corporate manslaughter in death of UAE Paralympian Abdullah Hayayei

  • UK Athletics had initially denied the charge when it appeared in court in March 2025 but entered a guilty plea on Friday

LONDON: UK Athletics has admitted corporate manslaughter over the death of Emirati Paralympian Abdullah Hayayei, who was killed in a training accident in London in 2017, it was reported on Friday.

Hayayei, 36, died after a heavy metal cage collapsed on him while he was preparing for the World Para-Athletics Championships at Newham Leisure Centre in July of that year.

The governing body had initially denied the charge when it appeared in court in March 2025 but entered a guilty plea on Friday during a hearing at the Old Bailey in London, media reports said.

Keith Davies, the head of sport for the London 2017 World Para-Athletics Championships, also pleaded guilty to a health and safety offense.

The 78-year-old had previously denied a charge of gross negligence manslaughter.

Prosecutor Karen Robinson told the court a two-day sentencing hearing should be scheduled for early June, confirming the prosecution would not pursue a trial and that all remaining matters would be resolved following sentencing.

Davies was granted continued bail, subject to conditions including cooperation with the UK Probation Service in the preparation of a pre-sentence report.

At the time of the fatal incident, Hayayei was training to compete at the London championships.

The UAE athlete had been due to take part in the F34 shot put, discus and javelin events.

A father of five, Hayayei made his Paralympic debut at the Rio Paralympics in 2016, finishing sixth in the javelin and seventh in the shot put.

London 2017 was set to be his second world championships appearance, having placed fifth in the discus and eighth in the shot put at the 2015 event in Doha.

A moment of silence was observed in Hayayei’s memory during the opening ceremony at the London Stadium.